1/700 USS Valley Forge, CV-45.

Started by John Healy · 34 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year ago:

I’ve had a Hasegawa Hancock (long hull Essex)and three sets of Dragon KW aircraft in the stash for some years now. Time to finally build them! I’ve also got the Tom’s Modelworks ESSEX set and a Starfighter Decals post war Essex sheet in bound to use on this one. I’ll use the Panthers and ADs from the Dragon sets and add a few Corsairs that are included in the Hasegawa kit.

I’ve got some basic construction and painting done over the last two days. In addition to the deletion of all the 20mm guns fir a post war ship, the 40mm tubs were reduced too. One of the first tasks for this project is to eliminate evidence of the starboard side 40mm tubs. Easy enough.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Great entry and excellent start already, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Great entry and ditto start indeed, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

I'm looking forward to watching your carrier build, John (@j-healy). Even though I was in the Air Force, I have always been a closet boat nerd. All the extra goodies will really raise this to the next level.

• Profile Photo

I’m a bit of a boat nerd myself. I built a bunch of these waterline kits back in the 80s. Unfortunately, they didn’t make the cut for the move. I do have a decent stash of unbuilt waterline kits to start afresh. Time to get busy because the parts are only going to get tinier as my eyes and fingers get older!

• Profile Photo

I assembled the 5” turrets this morning and painted some horizontal surfaces Gunship Gray FS 36118 using Humbrol enamels. I’ve painted some vertical surfaces the recommended Neutral Gray FS 36270 which is said to be a good match for post war Haze Gray. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t look right to me. It just seems too dark. I’m thinking of substituting Dark Ghost Gray FS 36320 using Humbrol 128 for a better scale appearance. 128 is not overly blue like some other companies dark Ghost Grays. What do you guys think? Any wisdom to share?

Another issue is with the decals. They arrived and there are nowhere near enough yellow hashes to finish the entire deck. Not pleased about this with a pricey decal set. Hopefully I’ll get time on Monday to mask and spray the deck hashes.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Humbrol 128 is a solid choice, my friend @j-healy. I would go for it, too. My "rule" is that if it looks right, it probably is. Pity about the decals, still, nothing unsolvable, just more time consuming.

• Profile Photo

The Humbrol seems right, John @j-healy
    As said by Spiros @fiveten, judgement of the eye is an important aspect.

• Profile Photo

I installed the major bulkheads today. They fit pretty well except for a gap at the front of the port forward 5” gallery. I’ll fix that with a bit of plastic sheet. With regards to paint, I settled on Humbrol #165, Medium Sea Grey. I literally looked at every gray paint that I have and think this one has the best appearance for this application. The island has a thin coat of neutral gray while the bulkhead next to it is in Medium Sea Grey.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

This is looking great, John (@j-healy). I agree with Spiros: If it looks right, then it is probably the right color. I am really surprised by the decals. I think I already have the same set for a future build. I think the Medium Sea Gray looks fine.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George. It’s starting to look like a carrier. Modelwarships.com has a ton of Essex builds to refer to and is helping immensely.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 1 year ago:

Kudos to you John for taking on a post war/Korea Essex variant. There must be so many differences from one ship
    to the next. Hase grey and underway!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year ago:

@j-healy - the Ghost Grey should work good for Haze Grey, particularly in this small scale.

If you are doing Happy Valley as she was when she saved the day at the outset of the war, she had one squadron of Panthers, two squadrons of Corsairs and a squadron of Skyraiders. Her 4-plan e night fighter detachment was F6F-5Ns!

Valley Forge's July 4 1950 strikes on Pyongyang convinced Stalin not to give the Norks the full support of the V-VS.which saved the UN forces on the peninsula.

• Profile Photo

Good resut on the painting, John @j-healy
    The chosen grey turned out perfectly.

• Profile Photo

Looking amazing, my friend @j-healy!