AD-4 Skyraider - Tamiya 1/48.

Started by John Healy · 41 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I’ve always wanted to do a KW Skyraider in glossy blue. I’ve finally amassed the needed short pylons and appropriate decal sheets to build a late war USN AD-4 with the armor kit. No need to grind that beautiful Tamiya plastic! The armor started appearing in 1952. I’m leaning towards doing a VA-95 plane from USS Philippine Sea in 1953. I have enough decal sheets to mix and match and do almost any squadron.

The first order of business is to remove the Vietnam era antennas and fin beacon that are molded on the kit.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 4 months ago:

John Healy (@j-healy)
    I have always wanted to build a Korean War Skyraider too. I have the old Monogram version, and the same Tamiya kit you have. But I'm too chicken to go cutting on a Tamiya kit. This was the main reason why I didn't build mine a while ago. I didn't know about the armor starting in 1952. Good stuff to know.

I will definitely be watching this one, and it's looking like you have a great game plan together.

Thanks for starting another one for us.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if an individual plane has the armor due to the dark color. Easy way to tell is the presence of the little step ledge under the cockpit. If it has a ledge, it’s got armor. No ledge, it’s a kick in panel with no armor.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great chosen kit, John @j-healy
    Looking forward to see it being build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Yet another amazing entry, my friend @j-healy!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Strapped in!

• Profile Photo

A little more progress this morning. AD-4 cockpits were black. Humbrol Panzer gray 67 mixed with a little Black 33 yielded an acceptable lightened black for this area.

AD-4s did not have the centerline pylon provided in the Tamiya kit. The pylon was introduced on the AD-4B nuclear capable variant. Less then 30 of these were built but the pylon became standard for all subsequent Skyraiders. The Tamiya pylon has to go, but I need to run to the hobby store to get a chisel blade first…….

I glued the side dive brakes in which fit perfectly.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice start on the interior, John @j-healy
    If the rest of this build fits as nicely as the dive brakes, than this will be a pleasant build.

• Profile Photo

Looking great as it is progressing, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Significant progress on the AD today. Assembled the cockpit, fuselage, and wings today. It’s a pretty simple kit that fits almost perfectly.

I think this kit provides the easiest path to a Korean War AD. In addition to having the correct seat, it also contains a ton of useful ordnance that can be used on a KW model. I’ve decided to equip my AD for an ASW “Gator” mission. Soviet submarines were a real threat had the war escalated. ASW patrols were conducted by Hunter/Killer teams of AD-4W and AD-4s or AD-4Ns. Sometimes, a Corsair would be substituted in the killer role to free up the Skyraider for a strike mission. The armament for this mission will consist of six HVARS on the outer wings, two Mk.54 depth bombs on the resin inner AD-4 wing pylons, and a fuel tank on the centerline.

The HVARS are from the kit, the Mk. 54s are from an Accurate Miniatures TBF kit, and the drop tank is from a Hasegawa F4U-4.

I got rid of the centerline pylon and drilled holes for mounting the tank and it’s sway braces. The early AD centerline station was mostly internal. This is why bombs and tanks seem so close to the belly on these planes.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Superb job so far, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Really good work, John @j-healy
    Amazing to see how much wider the side control panels of this aircraft are compared to the early war birds.

• Profile Photo

Yes, John. The large airframe allowed a fairly roomy and ergonomic cockpit. Late model Helldivers (-5) and Corsairs (-5/-7/AU-1) had improved cockpits too.

• Profile Photo

And suddenly, I have a complete airframe. The only thing that’s going to slow this one down is the Christmas holidays.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking amazing, my friend @j-healy!