AD-4 Skyraider - Tamiya 1/48.

Started by John Healy · 41 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Fit seems very nice, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 4 months ago:

That’s it for 2022. The resin AD-4 pylons fit with minimal adjustment. I just need to fabricate two new antennas for the fuselage spine and then paint it next week.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looks great as it progresses, my friend @j-healy!
    Happy 2023!

• Profile Photo

Progresses very nicely indeed, John @j-healy
    Happy New Year

• Profile Photo

Happy New Year, guys!

• Profile Photo

Incremental progress. Rockets and depth bombs assembled, engine painted, new antennas and centerline tank fitted. Hopefully I can get some paint on it by week’s end.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress on those parts, John @j-healy
    Those seatbelts are a great addition.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I like the seatbelts - very nice detail.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The AD wants to go feet wet over the Gulf of Mexico! Glossy Sea Blue applied today from a Humbrol tin that I’m pretty sure I purchased around 1976-78. Never opened til today, thinned 1:1 with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. Sprayed great.

I ran out of MM GSB when I built my Banshee in 2019. In 2020, I found a tin of this Humbrol GSB in the paint locker which I used on a Hellcat and to pre paint the wheel well areas of this model. When I moved the workshop to Alabama, 3 more tins turned up while packing. I think I’m good for 5 or 6 more GSB projects!

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The Humbrol GSB looks really great, John @j-healy
    From the pictures I see that the AD already got a nice view over the ocean together with some great weather.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I love the gloss blue on Navy planes, especially Skyraiders, John (@j-healy). Good progress on the build. It should go together well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. Yes, great weather let’s me airbrush outdoors now. I’m partial to glossy sea blue too, George. It was a great, durable finish. I like the overall glossy gull gray the navy used in the ‘80s too.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Sea Blue came out wonderful, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

I thinned the paint a bit too much with the leveling thinner when I got in close to ensure coverage on the aileron and flap break lines. As a result, it crazed a bit on one aileron. Some sanding and a quick re-spray fixed that. A bigger mistake was attaching the outboard pylons prior to decaling. Sometimes you just forget….😂. That required decal slicing to make right. Once past these bumps in the road, decaling and weapons painting started smoothly.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.