Douglas C-47 Dakota, Royal Hellenic Air Force Korean Detachment (ΕΚ.Σ.Ε.), Airfix, 1/72

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 161 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, C-47, Hellenic Air Force, Korea The Forgotten War
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good my friend - can't wait to see the finished build in the sun!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    Roger about the sun (by the way, this the view from my office just now...sun included!)

Greetings from sunny Greece!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Nearly done and looking good, Spiros. The weathering looks nice and subtle -best for a bare metal bird. I like your calm way to fix little details along the way, like the antenna mast hole. In the past, little details like this might cause me to make a major error fixing them and damaging the overall finish. Now I take a break and figure out a localized solution like you managed here without rushing ahead. Good save.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Colin @coling!

Oh dear! Those errors! You can call me mr Error! How about supergluing that antenna wire, it detaching from the mast, resting on the model surface, superglue included, marring the heck out of it?

Or, breaking a mast, wiring included, as you grab the model trying to secure another wire?

Or messing everything up, taking a couple of hours break to cool down, coming back to the model and do even greater messing? -lol-

Or...

Or...

All those neverending an usually diverging loops!

Well, at a point everything converges and I am a happy (though a tad tired and frustrated) modeler!

Thanks again for kind words, my friend!

Your meticulous work is an inspiration for me.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    I would give you a good run for your money when it comes to making errors... I can't tell you how many times I have super glued parts to my own fingers instead of getting it properly located on the model where it should be ! The same thing goes for last minute painting errors, and my most obvious is finding a picture of a plane that I just built...after having just completed it... only to find out that I have made some glaringly obvious mistakes when adding the decals !

The weather looks magnificent there out your office window. Today we have been getting a few of the hurricane feeder bands pass through from "Delta" which thankfully isn't going to be anywhere near us. This has kept things cooled down nicely, and rain is something we all can use.

Your final bits you have added to your C-47 are the little things that will set your build apart from all the rest. Details are the key... and it looks like you are a very good at getting these final bits done well.

Take care my friend, and I hope that you and your family remain safe. Enjoy your weekend. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis @lgardner!

The C-47 is slowly approaching its finish line, honoured (ad well as its builder) to be a participant in this amazing GB. Thanks for supporting my build!

Good that the hurricane was well away from you. We don't have similar experiences here; I bet it may get frightening...

Always good to know that I am not alone in my road to continuously justify my other nickname (Mr Mishap - lol!). However, having even cyanoglued half my mouth shut, I strongly believe I am a class of my own...

Take care, both you and your loved ones.

• Profile Photo

Final coating

Ready for application of a satin custom mix coating:

...long break due to family obligations...
    and done, varnish still drying...

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 6 months ago:

One beautiful build, Spiros !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Robert @roofrat!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Beautiful finish Spiros, that Hellenic blue really pops off the natural metal finish of the Dakota. Very unique BMF scheme with the Hellenic national markings. Looking at your C-47, i realize I have several Hellenic decal sheets that I have accumulated over the years for F-4's, F-104's, A-7's and F-16's that I have planned to build in both 72nd and 48th scale. There are some very cool markings that they have used over the years that would be a great addition to my dwindling shelf space. Beautiful work Spiros and nice save. Mr fuddle fingers here can at times pull a good one at times just when your about finished.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Very nice sheen it has my friend!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Chuck @uscusn and Erik @airbum!
    Many of our Greek schemes are not so often seen. They might add a bit of interest to your finished models collection. And will make me feel proud too!

• Profile Photo

Getting there...or so I thought!

I removed the masking tape from the windows, the result being passable.
    I fit the astrodome, the canopy and the approaching lights with white glue.
    After the white glue cures I will run another pass of it to use it as a smoothing filler.
    Canopy painting and touchups to follow
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Impressive build, Spiros (@fiveten). I agree with Chuck that the blue roundels really look awesome against the metal airframe.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair!