Eduard 1/48 RF-51D Mustang

Started by David Odenwald · 32 · 3 months ago · 1/48, Eduard, F-6D, Korean War, Mustang, RF-51D
  • Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months ago:

This is the Eduard Bunny Fighter Club boxing of their ProfiPack F-6D Mustang. It comes with PE and decals for a RF-51D-25 at Kimpo in 1952 along with decals for Shomo's Medal of Honor F-6 Mustang.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Looks like a great kit, David @kahu

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months ago:

@johnb

The Eduard Mustangs are pretty good, have built the P-51D-5 before. The gear bay ribs are bit more tricky than the ones in their Fw 190 to install so be patient. Also take your time assembling and aligning the fuselage. Other than those areas, goes together great.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months ago:

If you attach the "roof" of the wheel well to the bottom of the cockpit floor, rather than to the top of the wheel well, you will have a much easier time fitting the wing sub-assembly to the fuselage sub-assembly - it gets rid of all the 'fiddly" in the process.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @kahu!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months ago:

David Odenwald (@kahu)
    Thank you for starting this build journal. I have one of the Eduard over tree kits for the P-51D-5 in my Mustang stash. Like you I have quite a few of them. Most of mine are Tamiya, Accurate Miniatures, and Airfix kits in 1/48, then I have some older Revell and Hasegawa stuff in 1/32. One can never have too many Mustangs !

I'll be looking for your next installment. Welcome to the Korean War group !

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom for that, will try it.

• Profile Photo

You are welcome and thanks for starting this group. Almost entered the Modelvist F-82 but decided the polka-dot RF-51D was cooler. Never have too many? Uh I am trying not to have a model store in house, but am losing the battle.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Well,, you can never aspire to the title of "serious modeler" unless you do in fact "lose the battle." 🙂

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Well amidst building the TBD-1 have done a little work on the RF-51D.

Assembled all the bits that make up the gear wells on an Eduard Mustang. Glued part G34 to the bottom of H34 as Tom @tcinla suggested. Not gotten to the point of joining major assemblies yet to see how it shakes out on the alignment.

As for the gear well colors, check photos and not trust Eduard. One photo I have of 'Oh-Kaye Baby' have the clamshell doors up but the landing gear doors are silver or aluminum. A photo of a different Polka-Dot Mustang shows the clamshell doors are silver or aluminum, the yellow zinc chromate is absent.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Some very nice reference material, David @kahu
    I think you are fully right on the wheel wells.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Great progress and solid approach on the well colors, my friend @kahu!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks everyone, so after searching the Internet some more on Korean War Mustangs I find this photo over at Swiss Mustangs. If anyone needs a diorama idea, well here is one called "War first, safety second." Just look at the improper storage of munitions.

https://swissmustangs.ch/var/m_7/71/71f/28906/9462851-44558238_2452007528159139_3611303159261036544_o.jpg

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Great pic, my friend @kahu! Yes, in war conditions safety might at times become optional...