Eduard 1/48 RF-51D Mustang

Started by David Odenwald · 32 · 3 months ago · 1/48, Eduard, F-6D, Korean War, Mustang, RF-51D
  • Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Words of caution about the Eduard instructions. Specifically on Page 5 where the gear well is glued in followed by other small parts and finally the upper wing halves.

After the wheel well box is glued in, lightly sand down the outer ribs where the main gear legs go. This is the bulkhead just before where the machine gun inserts go. Sanding these down right now will prevent having to clamp the wing tops on and wait for the glue to set. This area is just a little aggravating.

Drill out the holes for the bomb racks before attaching parts G17 and G14. Or just don't install G17 and G14. This would probably be a good time to drill out the holes for the rockets also which Eduard delays until page 8. Korean War Mustangs seem to have only three rockets per side, check photos.

Finally before gluing the wing tops on, way out on the right wing is a little dimple that seems to be all alone. Open it right now or you will be later scratching your head as to where where the pitot tube, part G10, on page 10 goes.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Spiro @fiveten

I know safety can take second seat in war time, just sometimes how sloppy it all is astounds me. Like this picture. 8th Air Force bomb dumps of un-fused 500lb GP bombs stacked like so much cordwood does not give me the shivers like this photo.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Good progress and nice clarification on the Eduard instructions, my friend @kahu!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Oh yes! drill out all holes before final assembly!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Here is the cockpit with PE. Still need to glue the PE radios and do some final painting. Then it will be time to apply a flat coat and then some wash and weathering.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

A very nice interior already, David @kahu

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

The cockpit looks awesome already, my friend @kahu!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

@kahu - I was looking at photos of 45th TRS RF-51Ds in Korea for another project and they were all painted silver - this was for anti-corrosion on aging airframes. My suggestion, if you are using Vallejo metalizers, would be to use "Dull Aluminum" which will come out looking like weathered coroguard which is what this is. The only "natural metal" area are the two panels above/below the exhaust stacks.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

John @johnb
    Spiros @fiveten
    Thanks.

Tom @tcinla
    Thanks for confirming what I had already suspected. Didn't expect the silver paint. I had just figured five years after World War II and many being pulled out of storage they would be a dull aluminum color as the color photos seem to show. Korea was not a nice built base in England so of course the Mustangs would look the worst for wear.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Well I just realized I did a goof. Went a bit mad with the gluing of the upper wing parts so they are stuck to top of wheel wells and when I slid the wing and fuselage together found I had a major step issue. mutter

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking forward to your remedial actions, my friend @kahu!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

@kahu - Your step issue comes from somewhere else. I always glue the wing and wheel well and never have a step issue.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is a cool one, David (@kahu). Your build will be a good road map for when I finally get around to building my F-6. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Tom you were right. Had to remove that locator that is atop the main gear well. As in all of it and not partially like I had. Now things look and fit a lot better.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 3 months, 1 week ago:

It's pretty much like any other Eduard P-51D just with cameras. But I hope I help with your build. Looking forward to it.