HMS Belfast 1/350 Trumpeter

Started by Paul Barber · 26 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 10 months ago:

The Town-class light cruiser HMS Belfast has been a fixture on the Thames, in sight of Tower bridge since 1971, as a floating element of The Imperial War Museum. I have been aboard more times than I can remember, and from a very early age. Now that I live in Australia however, I can not afford myself the luxury of the 10 minute train journey I used to take to visit her. When this GB was announced I knew I had a wonderful opportunity to reacquaint myself with this old friend!

She has a heck of a history. Launched on St Patrick’s day in 1938 , she was commissioned by the Royal Navy in 1939. There followed 25 years of active service.

She defended the Arctic conveys and fought at the Battle of North Cape in Norway, playing a key role in the hunting and sinking of The Scharnhorst. In 1944 she supported the landings at Normandy and is said to have fired some of the earliest shots.

From 1950 to 1952 (405 days), and now relevant to this GB, Belfast was involved in Korea, making coastal patrols and bombarding onshore targets in support of ground forces. During the course of the conflict, she covered over 80,000 miles in the war zone and fired more than 8,000 rounds.

I will have to do some detailed research to learn about the colour scheme and any adaptations made to her in Korea. I’d imagine this build will take me deep into this GB!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Great choice Paul @yellow10. I shall be tuned in on this build!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

What a great choice, Paul @yellow10!
    Welcome to the KW GB!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Excellent subject Paul. Our first navel vessel to appear in the GB. Love it. Will follow this with keen interest.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Cool! A ship. Have fun with this one.

• Profile Photo
    Ilan Shapiro said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I would like to see this built! Thank you. Ilan

• Profile Photo
    Ilan Shapiro said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Was able to snag this book used on Amazon; many glossy color closeup pics.
    Belfast: Cruiser 1939 Johnstone-Bryden Seaforth 26.00

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hello Paul, @yellow10
    Welcome aboard my friend to our ever growing group. Thank you very much for participating.

Like the others have mentioned, I too will be watching this one. Fantastic ! You sure picked a great subject with this one...

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Good one Paul, at some point I will keep you company with my ship build !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 10 months ago:

@airbum @fiveten @ilanortho @uscusn @gwskat @kalamazoo @lgardner

Thanks So much for the warm group welcome gents - my first ship since I was a kid.

Allan - I can’t wait to see yours. I have a feeling I’ll need all of the 3 years to get this done! And a bank loan for the aftermarket stuff!

Ilan - thanks for the heads up - I have a few books on Belfast to read on the way, but not that one yet!

Here’s a shot of Belfast coming alongside USS Bataan in 1952.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

This is another great choice you made Paul. @yellow10
    This just has the feeling it is going to be an epic build... All of the components are in place.

Alan, @kalamazoo
    I have always enjoyed watching your builds come to life too. You are so precise with your canopies, and your paint schemes are always magnificent.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Great choice, Paul. I’d like to see a Belfast kit offered in 1/700.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Ok here we go! July you say? 😂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great start, my friend @yellow10!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Definitely going to follow this build, Paul @yellow10
    Looking forward to your progress.