Lavochkin La-11, 1/48 ARK models

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 121 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros. This kit does indeed require a bit more old fashion approach but it is not that bad in general.

• Profile Photo

Engine and cowling mounted. Fitting was not too bad.

As you can see in the previous picture, I removed the rudder. This, to be able to paint it instead of using the provided decals for the red/white lines. The provided drawings are 1:1 with the kit, making it more easy to apply the masks in correct dimensions.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Just discovered your La-11 build, John (@johnb). It looks like this is really coming together nicely. I had a 1/72 Ark kit a couple of years ago and it proved to be an ill-shaped lump of plastic. This one looks light years better.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year ago:

Progressing well, John. I really like this project.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Looking superb, my friend @johnb! The rudder will look awesome when painted!

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thank you, George. So far this kit is pretty nice to build. Only issue was the front upper piece of the fuselage, but it was not that bad to get it fit nicely.

@j-healy, thanks a lot, John.

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. Usually painting gives much better results on rudders than the lager decals.

• Profile Photo

Worked on the canopy today. I did order a vacuum form canopy for this kit, but I thought about giving the original one a try. To my surprise it did fit perfectly. Since the canopy from the box does have the frames nicely presented I decided to go ahead with that one.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year ago:

@johnb
    Nice work, or should I say very nice work so far John.
    Much like Chuck a few days ago, only now did I spot this build log…and got stuck looking at your progress so far. Keep it comin’

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

You are right, John (@johnb). You hit a home run with the canopy. I think I would always prefer to use a plastic canopy rather than one that is vacuformed.

• Profile Photo

Great that you can use the kit supplied canopy, my friend @johnb! Looks great on!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year ago:

This is looking very good @johnb. I'm thinking I will pull out my kit (I have DPRKAF markings). You';ve accomplished a lot here with this.

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer, thanks a lot for the motivating comments, Pedro.

@gblair, thank you, George. Since I have no experience with vacuform yet, I wanted to give it a try on this one. But when I saw the nice fit of the original one, I don't want to take the risk and play with vacuform. Maybe another time.

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros. There were even two included in the kit, at first I thought they were different but both are exactly the same. I was lucky with that, because the first one had a crack at the frontside, second one is still fine.

@tcinla, thank you, Tom. Apreciate your compliments a lot.

• Profile Photo

Preperation work done on the landing gear. Not too many parts but sufficiently detailed I would say.

• Profile Photo

Landing gear looks great, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros.