Lavochkin La-11, 1/48 ARK models

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 121 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

@lgardner - you should call that Hobby Loss kit an "La-11ish". Beautiful surface detail, and they got the overall geometry completely wrong. The cowling and forward fuselage is not the proper size (too small all the way around), the canopy is wrong, the cockpit is fictional; the wings may be about right. You would think Hobby Loss, with their access to the original airplane in Chinese museums, could do better, but this is another by the design team that has never seen an actual real airplane. When they can't even get the shape right...

I had both kits, and when I compared the Hobby Loss to the Ark kit (which is dimensionally accurate), the only thing I kept was the decals. That kit is one of their worst, and when you consider the other crapola they have created, that's saying something.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

@lgardner, thanks a lot, Louis. At first I had no idea which grey to use, therefore I used the 'when it looks right it is right' approach. I made a mixture of Grey Blue (RLM84) with White, Vallejo 71.103 and 71.001 respectively, in a 5:2 ratio.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nearing completion, decals are on.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Decals look fantastic on, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Same from me, John (@johnb), the decals look great. The pre-shading really came out great.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

@fiveten, @gblair, thanks a lot. The pre-shading did indeed work better than I expected. I do think the panel lines are a bit over dimensioned however. Next a bit of weathering before calling this one done.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Wash applied.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Looks wonderful, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months, 1 week ago:

You are doing a great job on this bird, @johnb

It's nice to see what skill and some detail enhancements can do on a good if basic kit.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros
    @tankgrrl, thanks a lot, Anna-Elizabeth. The kit itself is not too complex indeed, but very enjoyable to build.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Nice work @johnb. I definitely have to pull mine out. Insignia only on upper right wing? Not saying "no," just curious.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla, definitely love to see yours, Tom. According to ARK models there is an insignia at the upper right wing and on the lower left wing.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

My friends @johnb and @tcinla, I have built a Chinese Mig-15, doing an obscure scheme, where the wings insignia, according to the equally obscure info, were only one at the top side and only one underside, per the US style. I went for it, always believing that it was wrong. Now with the La-11 info, it might be correct.

• Profile Photo

Lower surface received a wash as well.

• Profile Photo

And adding some exhaust stains