M46 in Korea

Started by Michel Verschuere · 34 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi all, happy to join this GB! @lgardner, I will focus on this picture and try and replicate in 1:35 scale.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Can imagine the outcome as will be depicted by the amazing "Michel Verschuere" skills.
    What a nice plan @michel-verschuere!
    Cannot wait for your start; you guys are going to make me an armor guy!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thank you Michel, @michel-verschuere

for joining our ever growing group. My Dad served in these M-26 Pershing's and M-46 Patton's in Korea. He said they were both a good tank, and he loved the high velocity 90 MM, but then added that the older "Easy 8" Sherman could go in places where the M-26 / 46 would not. Dad served in the Sherman's in Korea too. Later when I turned 18, I joined the US Army and I wanted to be like my Dad so I also joined up and served in Armor, mainly in the older M-60A1, and in my final months, the fabulous M-1A1.

I am looking forward to seeing what fantastic creation you have in store for us...This is going to be a good one.

I have always felt that this particular photo captured a glimpse of what it was like to be in Korea at this time... Cold, hungry, tired beyond imagination, and the boredom of marching, occasionally interrupted by the utter chaos and terror of combat. Your feet and legs hurts after miles of walking, your back is aching from carrying everything you own. Your arms, hands and shoulders are cramping up after carrying your rifle for hours on end. Your neck hurts from supporting not only your head but also the heavy steel pot helmet for what seems like an eternity, and you dare not take it off. You might need it to dig a hole with, cook a meal in or use it as a sink when you shave. Dad told me that they had very little water for drinking as it was all frozen solid, and there was no time for shaving, so he had a beard by the time this was all said and done.

I am not 100 percent positive, but I think this photo was taken as the Marines were "advancing in another direction" from Chosin to Hungnam in November / early December 1950. My Dad was there and was one of the "Frozen Chosen"...

This is why I chose this picture to represent the group build.

To see you make a model depicting the photo, makes me feel that we think very much alike...

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nice choice, Michael. We don’t see the M-46 built often.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 10 months ago:

What an excellent endeavour Michel, this is a project that I will follow once you get it started.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 1 month ago:

I will just post one picture. The figure is from the Miniart (Ukraine) kit #35245

I detailed it with Tamiya helmets (they are better formed) and chin and rifle straps.
    I let you guess what this will eventually become...
    Happy modeling! Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Beautiful job there, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

A nicely detailed soldier, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Looking forward to see what you have in mind.

• Profile Photo

Part II

• Profile Photo

Here is one more picture, sorry arrived late from work and the un is almost down. Will improve on it as we proceed.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

A very nice set of soldiers, Michel @michel-verschuere

• Profile Photo

All looking great, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

Believe it or not, but this band of brothers is now painted. For those eager to know where I am going, this should be a great hint...

Insights welcome! 😉

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @michel-verschuere!