M46 Patton – Pegasus Hobbies 1/72

Started by Curt Cayemberg · 30 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Curt Cayemberg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great group build subject that I just had to join! I started the kit in December and this group build will be great inspiration to get this kit completed. I have not built a 1/72 armor kit before nor a Korean war subject, so I'm really looking forward to joining this wonderful group build!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I don't have photos of the early contruction phase - I was too busy having fun with the kit!

I was surprised by the good level of detail in this kit for such a small scale. As with nearly every kit, there were a few "adjustments" needed for proper fit. Careful attention is required to correctly space the drive sprocket assemblies for the tracks to fit as they should. The front idler axles needed some minor plastic surgery to fit the lower hull, and as always - the roadwheel axles should be carefully glued to avoid any "floating" roadwheels.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The main construction completed with the exception of the tracks. Its basicly built out of the box. The only alteration I made was to replace the turret and upper hull lifting lugs with wire. The kit lugs were molded solid (with no hole in the center) due to molding capabilities.

• Profile Photo

Next Up: Tiger Stripes! I've been busy with the painting the last few weekends but its coming along well...I was worried how the yellow would turn out but after a few hours of careful masking I'm happy where its at. There was an issue prior to the painting stage on assembly of the upper and lower hulls. With the tracks assembled, the upper hull would not fit over them and into place on the lower hull - the upper hull side fenders are molded too thick. A few hours of thinning the side fenders from the inside of the upper hull provided enough clearance for the upper hull to fit over the assembled tracks.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Wow, what an entry and what a progress, Curt @CRCsquad!
    Looks like heading to the finish line very soon!
    Nice details for 1/72!
    Never built armor before, tempted to do so.
    Looking forward to this beautiful model!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thank you for taking us here Curt @crcsquad. Very interesting entry, and even if you were busy having fun with it, I for one are happy that you have found the time to post it. Thanks for sharing - I'm strapped in.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros and Erik! I have been spending many hours on this little guy...and enjoying them all!

• Profile Photo

The M46 has its Tiger stripes! The stripes were painted the old fashioned way using a fine point paint brush. Those darn white stripes were a struggle due to the type of paint I used. The only white paint I had on hand was Tamiya acrylic, and as many may know Tamiya acrylic is NOT the best choice for brush painting. I think some of the later weathering effects should hide some of the mistakes!

• Profile Photo

Ahhhh, the fine art of brush painting @crcsquad!
    I had used the same technique for applying black stripes on a quarter scale Tiger Meet Starfighter. I had used Humbrol black enamel, and was surprised by the easiness of application. It took a lot of time and patience, but no mishaps.
    Your tiger M46 look great.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

That is a very nice tiger!

• Profile Photo

The M46 was given a gloss clear coat, then the decals went on. The decals snuggled down nice using Micro Set followed by Solvaset. Then it was time to add some chipping effects and thats where we are at in the pics. Now its time to get out the oil paints and do some fading/weathering!

• Profile Photo

And a chipped tiger it is. Very nice effects - looking forward to the oils!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good Curt, nice addition to the group !

• Profile Photo

Love it, Curt!
    Still, I cannot believe it's only 1/72!

• Profile Photo
    Curt Cayemberg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

A few layers of oil and enamel weathering effects applied. Its getting there!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.