Modelsvit F-82G Twin Mustang, 1/48

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 97 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Hi Eric, so true, small parts abound in this kit. Careful in avoiding the ooopsies on this build.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis, up next completing the radar operators pit.

• Profile Photo

With the pilots cockpit now assembled. next is to work on the instrument panel. Since I was on this step I will also work on the radar operators panel as well at the same.

The pilots panel is painted first with Nato black with the lower portion in ZCG. While the IP for the radar side of is painted Black.

The instrument decal is then applied to the Pilots panel.

Next the decals are also applied on the Radar side panel.

Finally finishing up the decal work on the pilots IP. Then overlaying the PE face over the dials and gauges.

Next to remove the panel, trim and install into the pilots cockpit.

Now to build the 2nd cockpit.

A test fit of the pilots cockpit into the LH side fuselage.

Next to start work on the 2nd cockpit.

The RH side interior panel is not as involving compared to the pilots cockpit as most of the flight controls are not on this side of the F-82. Just a couple of decals and the lever. Painting the details and a wash.

Next to work on the LH side panel.

Again not as involving compared to the pilots side. Be careful in attaching and applying the correct decals and pieces for the F-82G not the the F version.

Again apply the decals first. Then detail painting.

The hose and regulator is carefully removed, trimmed and installed. So happy to remove these extremely delicate parts without breaking them off the sprue.

The decals have settled with a dash of Micro Sol, wash applied before attaching the hose and regulator as the last piece before assembly the cockpit.

Now to assemble the 2nd cockpit. I am really loving these instructions. So far they have been pretty direct and accurate in the assembly process.

[pc24]

The floor has no provision for a control lever.

Even the shape of the pedals are different to the pilots side, painted ZCG.

Building the 2nd cockpit is a bit more familiar after building the 1st one. Next is the front bulkhead and align with the LH side panel.

Next the RH side panel is attached.

Before everything sets, the rear bulkhead is then installed.

Last is to install the IP

I love the engineering aspect of the kit so far. Though the parts are well done, but quite fragile to carefully remove them from the sprue. Patience is key and follow the steps and make sure the correct parts are used for the option/variant your building.

Next to build the set that sits behind the pilots seat on the rear deck shelf. Using Tam Flat Black, Vallejo Ivory and Testor's Orange for the painting of this.

After the paint dries attach the assembly behind the pilots seat.

Then test fit each step on this session. Alignment is key to getting everything to fit properly once it's time to mate the fuselage halves.

Next to build the tail wheel bay assembly and the radiator and oil coolers.

More to follow

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Superb work done on those interiors, Chuck @uscusn
    Not only the instructions are very detailed, also the moldings look very nice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, Modelsvit really did a good job on this kit detail wise. Delicate like resin quality, the fit is good, just be careful in the parts clean up as they are fragile. Patience is key. So far the directions in the instruction sheet are clear to this point.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Missed your last update, my friend @uscusn. And what an update!
    Cockpits look superb! Indeed, this very good kit needs patience.

• Profile Photo

Next is to work on the internal components for each fuselage.

A nice feature is a full boxed in tail wheel bay. Unusual feel like building two F-51H (F-82) Mustangs in one. 3 pieces make up the tail wheel bay, painted Zinc Chromate Yellow (ZCY)

The parts are attached to the RH side of the fuselage half, starting with the pilots side.

Once the parts are assembled into the fuselage, I place the LH side half to check alignment.

Then a wash is applied to bring out the details.

Both tail wheel bays completed.

Next to assemble the radiator and intake cooling. Modelsvit has a groove engraved to allow a good fit and alignment of the pieces within the fuselage half. Nice simple detail that really helps for a good fit and alignment.

Then the radiator is then simple placed into the groove and align with the forward edge of the ramp.

Next a test fit with the LH fuselage half, to not only check alignment but the halves also meet with a flushed center seam no gaps.

Both radiators and ramps installed on both fuselgages.

Next up are the oil coolers and intakes.

More to follow

• Profile Photo

Great progress, Chuck @uscusn
    You don't see a tail wheel bay existing of multiple parts that often.
    And even getting two in this case.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice work, Chuck. All looks good.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice steps, my friend @uscusn!
    All looking good indeed!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Chuck, @uscusn
    You are blazing a new trail here for the rest of us who have this kit and plans to build one of these. I sincerely appreciate how you are always going above and beyond with your very detailed build journals. Everything you are posting looks magnificent.

Keep it going !

• Profile Photo

Hi John, yeah nice bit of engineering in pulling of a well detailed tail wheel bay. And it fits!

Thanks Gary, appreciate that!

Thanks Spiros, still a one step at a time process, great details, but fit has to be precise to ensure alignment of all the interior components as i get closer in getting the halves together, test test test fit.

Thanks Louis, I know a bit methodical, but this is my first Modelsvit kit and it is a good to pick. Lots of stuff going on and must pay attention to detail, or it can go sideways in a hurry.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Chuck this is an amazing build that I am following with great interest. I am currently awaiting delivery of my Modelsvit F-82. It sure is a nicely detailed model. You are definitely building a showstopper.

• Profile Photo

Next up is the forward radiator and ramp. By the way can't tell from the model, these radiators in reality weighed over 200lbs each and were massive.

After assembly then again carefully place them into the grooved slot and set.

Both fuselages have the cooling systems and ramps in place.

Now double checking fit and alignment, time to button up the fuselages. First with the pilots side.

The intake scoop is assembled. This is a critical part make sure to clean up those seams. on the pieces.

First i assemble the LH side fuselage before installing the intake lower scoops. Fit is good but not Tamiya, clean up is a must over the center seams and tail fillet. I have left out the pilots seat for now.

Next the intake scoops are installed.

The carburetor intake filler panel insert has some flash to clean up before installing under the nose.

After holding my breath and hoping that the fuselages would go together ok, the RH side went together a bit better than the LH side one. I expected some seam work to be done. Not too bad. A bit of work and we should have a great finish when time to paint.

With the fuselages now completed. And let them set. There is a lot going within these normally easy to build Mustangs. The F-82 is a bit more complicated much larger and a lot of details with in. Any mistake here and it will really show when time to get everything aligned with the wings.

Next up, build the wings and wheel bays.

More to follow

• Profile Photo

Solid progress, Chuck @uscusn
    Looking great already.
    The B26 in the background as well.