Modelsvit F-82G Twin Mustang, 1/48

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 97 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Hi everyone, after a 3 month hiatus when I packed up and moved, now settled for the most part. Though still some organizing and unpacking still left though not much.

Spiros, thanks, this is a kit that you just approach carefully, be patient as the fit is not bad. The challenges is part of the fun.

Thanks Gary good to see ya, slowly getting there, and even longer after 3 months not building.

Hi John, yep but nothing that can be fixed with sanding, scrapping and filling. But not a deal breaker.

Louis, always a pleasure to read your comments, and input. Always encouraging, on a tough build like this one. First time working on a Modelsvit kit, I like the challenge. Unique subject. And you know I learn a bit more of the variant as I do some research on the F-82. Which is part of the fun. So far I like the kit, despite the issues which are minor and expected reading up on several reviews already on the web. And all right on point.

Hi, Paul always a pleasure, how is things down under? You know not as complicated as the Lightning with the twin booms with a similar layout. But complete fuselages, the fit around the radiators and wing fillets to the fuselage were a bit of a challenge but it's like building 2 Mustangs, Then attach it to a common wing. But it is much larger than a standard Mustang.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, it was planned that way as I tend to follow this procedure with most of my WWII builds by attaching the lower wings to fuselage then attach the outer wing panels and get them set to the fuselage to eliminate that wing to fuselage contact point gap. At least the best fit as I can. Still had to work those gaps on the F-82/

• Profile Photo

Now to assemble the Pod. Modelsvit gives you the parts to allow you to display the radar set cover removed. But it really needs a bit more details to really enhance what is provided. I will leave the Pod intact..

Quite a simple process in assembling the Pod halves.

Just clean up a typical seam. Easy to do on this part. Everything is big on this plane.

Next is to attach the Pod to its base on the lower center section of the wing.

The fit is good here. No attachment point seams to worry in this case.

Next is to work around the fuselage seams and issues, then start attaching the canopies. More to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Looking good, my friend @uscusn!
    Yep, building the pod closed was a good idea.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

The pod is looking very nice, Chuck @uscusn
    Looks very smooth.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, now to get back into the saddle and get this finished.
    Thanks John, what is amazing how big it is.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Nice work Chuck ! @uscusn
    Keep it going buddy.

• Profile Photo

Now some catching up on this build first with the huge center flap.

The flap will be displayed lowered. 2 parts upper lower halves are assembled.

Next are to assemble the LH and RH outer flaps. Again upper and lower halves.

The parts assemble with no issues. A test fit on the trailing edge are a bit tight and will require to fit correctly with in their wells.
    All 3 flaps are assemble and ready to install.

Next to assemble the ailerons.

4 pieces make up the 2 ailerons, which after a test fit feel a bit tight as well.

Next is to install the outer flaps. They are posed well deployed and to me maybe too much.

A single actuator is attached to the center main flap.

Then the main flap is attached to the trailing edge of the center wing section.

Next is to install the ailerons, have to work them a bit into place so they don't droop and keep them in neutral. The fit is tight but not perfect.

Once set they overall look of the wings look good. The advantage of separate flying surfaces just looks so much better than moulded in flaps and ailerons.

Getting closer to the next step. With the flaps and ailerons installed. Next up is to assemble and attach the elevator to the horizontal stab.

And then attach the final bits before the painting process.

more to follow

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Hi Chuck @uscusn, this is really coming on now, can’t wait to see it the paint shop.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Indeed, coming along nicely, my friend @uscusn!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Very nice work done on the ailerons and flaps, Chuck @uscusn
    I agree that having them seperate instead of one mold looks much better.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George, once I finish installing the canopies, then some paint work is in order.
    Thanks Spiros getting there.
    Thanks John, details like separate flaps,. aileron's and elevators does wonders, yes it does make it a bit more complicated, but who said it is always easy. Love the challenge.

• Profile Photo

Now to assemble the elevator and attach to the center horizontal stabilator.

I will have this configured in the down position.

A view from below

Now to work on the installation of the canopies, The RH side will be displayed closed, while the LH or pilots side will be open. Reading prior build reviews, installing these are a bit tricky and not perfect. So following the advice of the prior builds I was somewhat prepared for the required trimming to make them fit better.

Both types either closed or opened have issues in proper fitting. Just trim to fit so it eliminates a gap at the rear contact point.

The windscreen did fit ok with a bit of work.

The open canopy will have the rear deck panel installed, this is a bit fiddly here being careful when applying the cement without making a mess. Let say thank God there are 2 open canopies provided.

Once installed time to mask them off. Using the kit provided masking set. These are similar in design of Cutting Edges style of material. Not Kubuki tape. Not hard to work with, just be careful when applying them to each panel at the edges. They are a bit clear off the backing. A slight greenish tint. The canopies will have the framing edge masked off then using Tamiya tape to fill in exposed clear section in the middle of glass.

Then Interior Zinc Chromate Green is applied over the framing.

next up is to attach some details before the overall black scheme is painted.

More to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @uscusn!
    The elevator in "down" position looks nice!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looks great, Chuck (@uscusn). It is good to see you back. We moved to a new house last Christmas, and I am just now starting to feel like I know where my tools and supplies are located. A lot of my unbuilt models are still in boxes in a storage room, but at least I have started building again. Looking forward to seeing this one complete.