• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very nice progress indeed, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Just re-read the log, and awaiting the paint 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks Spiro's finally getting down towards the end of this project, still a ways to go.

George, you know once the moving in part was finished, now comes the long process of unpacking, setting up the hobby/work room. With most of the kits in one place not scattered as they were at the old place. But it does take a while to get used to the new digs. The work space is a bit smaller, in fact much smaller, it takes a while to get back into the mood of building. More distractions with the room with in the main house.

Thanks John, moving right along.

Hi, Eric, strap in, lets go for a ride/

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Will first attach some bits and pieces before getting into painting the F-82. First with the pylons.

For now will leave off the rocket racks. Four weapon stations are attached under the wing. The small locating pins are more of a hindrance than help in placing the pylons in their place on the lower wing.

The 4 pylons are mounted on the wings.

Next to assemble the props.

Interesting approach that Modelsvit has me assemble the prop. Instead of 1 piece or assemble blades into a hub, they are of 2 separate set of blades assemble into a cross. Or a set of 4 bladed props when assembled. I had started to paint one set in black with left over paint. Didn't quite get all 8 blades both sides.

Tips were already painted yellow, masked off and the rest of the blades are painted Tamiya semi gloss black. The back side of the prop hub is then attached to the blades.

Next the spinners are prepped before attaching them to the blades.

The blades and spinners are painted Tamiya Semi Gloss Black. Then the tips masks are removed.

Finally to attach the rear radiator doors that open and closed when in flight or taxiing on the tarmac.

2 sets on each fuselage. I will configure these in a semi closed position. The fit is a bit tight. Make sure you clean up the stubs after removing from the parts tree. Seems like they are always in a spot on the part where they attach or on a part of the airframe that requires a perfect fit or it will fight you a bit.

Next the rearward door is installed. Again a bit of a tight fit, a click after a bit of trimming and in it goes.

With all 4 doors installed, now we can go to the paint shop and lay that glossy black scheme.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 5 months ago:

What is that construction base? It looks like fishweights in glue, but that's not it, is it?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Nice set of propellors, Chuck @uscusn
    The doors do fit nicely now.
    Looking forward to the glossy black paint work.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Tom, that is like a foam insert that was in a resin set I got, don't quite remember which set it came out of. The other foam bases are from an Eduards/Brassin wheel set.
    Thanks John, will get back in the saddle with some nice extended time off this holiday weekend, Happy New Year

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Now time to paint, using Tamiya Gloss black to paint the overall air frame.

Despite being glossy, I went ahead and applied a coat of Future clear coast to get a smoother finish.

I will use the kit decals for the scheme as the this F-82 appeared in the Korean theatre of Operations.

Using the Microscale system to apply the decals. And I goofed by using another set of national markings. The markings should be just a white star and bars with red center stripes. But I grabbed a set of markings with the typical blue background. Not correct for this. Oh well too late, not going back to remove or repaint black over the markings.

The red USAF markings are the kits, just be careful as they are very then and can break if your too rough in setting them in place.

More decals too apply, quite a few stencils to apply.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Should you want to change the national insignia decals, an easy way is to lift them off by pressing Scotch tape over them, then pulling them up - it's never too late to do that. The kit decals are overall excellent, proper size (unlike two different sets of aftermarket decals, which must have been for F-82s from Alpha Centauri) and as you have discovered they go down very nicely. As you have no doubt noticed, there is a ton of stencils, which do show up since they are red on the black background.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Decals do look great, Chuck @uscusn
    A pity you chose the 'slightly' incorrect ones.
    You might want to give Tom's @tcinla, a try.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Solid progress, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Thanks John will just go with the wrong decals, oh well. Not going to any shows anyways, just among it's brethren on the shelf.
    Spiros, a nice challenge of a kit.
    Now to finally finish up the decal process.

Once the clear coat is dry to seal the decals, time to work on the main and tail gears. Starting with the tail units.

At first as you prepare the parts to assemble. You get this sinking feeling that this assembly will not hold up over time. But once assembled, they do feel sturdy enough. This is a large plane not a typical Mustang on a much smaller airframe.

All along through out the build it felt like building two Mustangs. The set of tail wheel assemblies built up with little difficulty, the instruction are a bit vague that the retractors are at an angle as it inserts into the tail wheel bay.

Using Cyano too attach each tail wheel into the bay. Once set, the fit feels sturdy enough.

Next is to attach the tail wheel bay doors, The attachment points are good and solid here.

Now the main gear and wheels. Finally a set of normal gear on one airframe, made up of 2 Mustangs. The wheels are assembled. Kit wheels are nice and will use them.

The struts and wheels

Then the struts are inserted into the main gear bays. Fit is excellent, good sturdy contact point, not fiddly.

Now to install the bay doors. For a kit that has been challenging through out the build, the landing gear process has been quite a no issue step.

2 sets of doors are simply attached in place with in the bay, starting with the outer doors.

Then the inner doors are attached. All 4 doors had a solid contact point and set up quite well.

The gear is all in and after an hour of letting things set, she is now on her feet.

Next up, decal and install the props, lamps and the sliding canopy. Then configure the ordnance package.
    more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Looks amazing, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great progress, Chuck @uscusn
    Good idea to use CA to give it some more strength.