Thomas Hudner and Jesse Brown’s F4U-4 Corsair dual builds

Started by Louis Gardner · 122 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello my friends !
    Last night I made a little progress with the Hobby Boss F4U-4. Here are a few pictures that show the initial stages of the cockpit build.
    The instrument panel is made up of two parts that are glued together to form one.

The floor is made up with two flat sections. The control joystick is mounted to the lower part, and protrudes through the floor. It looks good to me...

These next photos will show you the progress made so far.

It's not much progress, but I'll take it...

As always, comments are encouraged. Happy Birthday USA !

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@lgardner, Nice touch with the offset stick Louis. That's a sign of things to come with the ailerons I suppose (or perhaps just a loose testfit?). Any progress, no matter what, is progress - we love it all my friend 🙂

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum

The offset stick was an accident... It has since been corrected. Notch it up to my careless building, and my work space being invaded by a 4 legged friend who recently "adopted" us.

He's there watching my every move and so far the Corsair is his favorite plane... Just don't let my German Shepherd hear that, as she is quite fond of 109's and FW-190's. She also likes potato pancakes... My wife's poodle on the other hand likes "French" Fries. Just saying.

• Profile Photo

Now that I have a mascot to check my work for quality control purposes, I am getting less and less work done...

However I did manage some progress on the Hasegawa F4U-4 tonight.

The cockpit was built. All 4 parts were glued together... No biggie, since the canopy is going to be closed.
    Since I'll soon be spraying some flat black, I have prepared the propeller and now it too is ready for some paint...

The fuselage parts were removed from the plastic trees and now they are also ready for some paint on the cockpit sidewalls. There were some small scuff marks where the plastic trees had rubbed against the fuselage sides. These faults were sanded out smooth and it is a very important step for a nice looking gloss sea blue finish.

I assembled the wings. Even though this kit is getting old, the parts fit is still rather nice on my sample.

No gaps are present, and the detail is decent inside the main landing gear bays. It's not a Tamiya or Hobby Boss level of detail but it will definitely work. This wing assembly will be allowed to dry overnight. I will also have to come up with some rocket stub rails. I used everything I had extra on a recent AM Avenger build. I can check out some 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1D kits I have in the stash, and also check the spare parts bins to see if any are left over from previous Tamiya builds. If I find what I'm looking for, they will get installed here, as nothing was included in the kit, and the "Dash 4" has rocket rails under the wings.

This one is going together fast... and I have a few more of the newer 1/48 scale Hasegawa Corsairs in the stash... So stay tuned for updates with this build. It might get "amended" to include another Hasegawa AU-1 a F4U-5, and just maybe a F4U-5NL, all in 1/48 while I'm at it.

Time will tell if this happens, so please stay tuned for updates.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Louis @lgardner!
    Both kits look great! You' ve made a great progress so far: I assume you have to keep your QC representative happy...those guys are very demanding!
    Maybe you'll include a couple of Corsairs more?
    A quadruple Corsair build?
    Eagerly waiting!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Yes it might actually end up as more than that total number of F4U's. My primary goal is to get these two done and finished before December 4th this year. I want to post an article of the pair on this date as it will be the 70th Anniversary of the event that earned Lt Hudner his Medal of Honor.

If I do follow through with the idea to build multiple F4U's, I will be posting them in a separate build journal for each one, so as not to confuse anyone and keep this build specific for these two planes.

Thanks for the compliments my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks great so far buddy. Just make sure you're checking for hair! Ask me how I know LOL @lgardner.

• Profile Photo

Hairy QC - now that was new to me. . . Will be looking forward to December 4th - and the journey to get there.

• Profile Photo

Hey Robert @beauslx

After your sage wisdom words of advice, I checked... and sure enough, there was a lot of tiny Orange cat hairs present on the work bench. So I had to get the vacuum cleaner out and give the garage / hobby room a once over in preparation for painting. I also wiped down the counter tops with some moistened paper towels. Thanks for the advice, it was well heeded, (and needed !).

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum
    Thanks buddy ! I think that December 4th will be here before we know it. Please stay tuned for another update. It's a small one, but it's a step in the right direction.

• Profile Photo

Today I had the "Iron Werks" fired up and running at full wartime capacity. I was working on various wheels that I needed to get painted for all of the projects that are currently underway.

I was spraying RLM 66 and it also works great as a tire color. Here you can see the various parts after they were air brushed. In this photo, the parts were just sprayed and are still wet.

Here's a close up of the Corsair wheels.

The main wheels were assembled on the Hobby Boss kit and the seams were sanded down on all of the wheels. Once I was happy with the work, I gave everything a nice coat of "Schwartz-Grau".

I placed these parts in a place where the cat will not be able to get to them overnight.
    As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 3 years, 9 months ago:

LOL, @lgardner. I had to strip down a Mach 1 body when I found cat hair in the paint.
    As I pick dog hair off the table as I type this...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That's nice progress, Louis @lgardner!
    I do the same: painting many same colour bits all at once.
    I noticed the "special shape" of your foam base: is it so for a special reason? More handy maybe?
    All the best, my friend!

• Profile Photo

IronWerkRock!

• Profile Photo

Robert, @beauslx
    I found my first cat hair in the paint I sprayed on the Corsairs last night...

I have a big German Shepherd and she lives in our house with us. When I go outside she likes to follow, and she protects my wife in a similar manner. Our dog gets a regular bath, and flea / heartwork medication, but she sheds hair like crazy. We vacuum our house and the very next day it will look as if it had never been done, because of the overnight accumulated dog hair. If you are a dog owner with a dog breed that sheds hair, then you know exactly what I mean. It's a never ending struggle to keep the house clean. Our little poodle doesn't shed, but in turn he needs regular hair cuts... that's the payoff for not shedding hair.

Years ago I did construction work for a living. In a lot of the older homes they used a plaster and lathe for wall coverings before sheet rock / drywall was invented. They would nail small strips of wood to the wall studs, and then cram horse hair in between the lath slats. On top of this, they applied plaster. The plaster was held in place by the boards and the horse hair... This stuff has been around us for ages. Anyone for a German Shepherd wool coat ? LOL

Thanks for commenting, and stay tuned as I have another update right around the corner.