Thomas Hudner and Jesse Brown’s F4U-4 Corsair dual builds

Started by Louis Gardner · 122 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thanks for the comments. As far as the special shape: It was a piece of Styrofoam that was used to pack something securely in a box. I guess that is why it has the special shape. Because it was easy to handle, I decided to keep it for the purpose of holding tooth picks as paint dried of the freshly painted parts.

So yes, I kept it because it was more handy.

Thanks my friend, and your "Jake" is almost done ... you have done a magnificent job with it.

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum
    Please stay tuned for some more "IronwerkRock" ! It's coming up next... Thanks !

• Profile Photo

Last night the Iron Werks was at it again. I had the table covered with a bunch of parts that were getting sprayed with some Flat Black enamel. In this mix are parts for 4 different aircraft. There are 2 different 1/32 scale Revell of Germany P-51D Mustangs, and the Hobby Boss F4U and the Hasegawa F4U.

There are the cowlings and propellers for the Corsairs. The Hasegawa parts are on the left, with the Hobby Boss parts on the right side.

This next photo shows the cockpit parts for both of the Corsairs. I will come back and spray on a little interior green color on the floors. My understanding that by the time the Korean War happened, most of the cockpits were painted using black. I have seen several photos where the floors were sometimes left in a shade of green.

But once a plane has left the factory, and has entered into service, anything can happen. The crew chief would commonly use whatever paint was available to protect the metal. When this happened, occasionally they would spray over small placards since they were all familiar with how to operate the aircraft. So these cockpits would most likely not look like they once did when they were brand new. By the time the Korean War broke out, some of these F4U-4's were pulled out of storage and placed into service. By now the average age of each plane was 4 to 5 years old. They had entered service towards the end of World War 2 in 1945. Some Corsairs were being flown in the Navy and the Naval Reserves, but keep in mind that after the Second World War had ended, defense spending was cut back to almost nothing. That means that these planes didn't get flown as often as they once did due to a severely reduced "Peace time" budget. This would come back to haunt us in 1950...

Here is what the plastic looks like for the Hobby Boss fuselage.

and the same photo again, but this time I am showing the Hasegawa plastic instead.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Nice job Louis @lgardner!
    I can see some nice rib detail in the aft section of the Hobby Boss.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@lgardner. I'm very much aware of dogs and there shedding everywhere. We currently have two Rotties which shed a very fine haired undercoat. Cleaning up the hair is a constant battle. But we all love our furry kids.
    So I have sympathy for your battle of the hair Louis.

• Profile Photo

Hey Robert, @beauslx
    Here are my big girls. Sadly we had to have our Lab put down a few years ago. She developed cancer and it spread like a wildfire. In two weeks she was gone. We adopted her from a shelter, and gave her 5 good years with us. I don't know who rescued who... They are great dogs...

My German Shepherd looks almost identical to Kid Hofer's dog. Here she is in her younger days. Now she is like me, getting older, but can still take care of business if needed.

She is overly protective of my wife and I. She is super intelligent too. She can read what I'm thinking and vice versa. Sometimes we don't even have to talk or give her a command... She just knows instinctively what we want.
    We love our furry kids too...and would do anything for them, including vacuuming the floors... LOL.

Rotties are wonderful dogs ! I have had two different friends who have owned several of them over the years. I can't speak too highly enough about them. They have in all. Strength, intelligence, devotion, I could go on... and on. You know the deal.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@lgardner Yeah, they are great dogs. Currently we have Boomer, 4 yrs old and 165lbs. Maddie is 6 yrs and 145lbs. She's a German Rotty, big and blocky, and Boomer is American Rotty. He's just big period. Both are way too smart, and both are just big clowns.

I grew up with Labs and Weimaraners. And several friends had Shepherds, all around great dogs.

Side note, do you any old tack cloths laying around? That might help the hair problem when you go to paint.

• Profile Photo

Robert, @beauslxRobert Paschall

It sounds like you have a great pair of dogs ! It seems that most Rotties share a lot of the same characteristics. The way you described yours is exactly how my friends described theirs. I also think it's best to have them in pairs. They seem to enjoy each other's company as much as being around their human companions.

I grew up with an older Shepherd (who adopted us, was a stray), and a Black Lab a few years later as the Shepherd started getting really old. The Shepherd took to the new Lab puppy like it was his own son, and "showed him the ropes"...I taught the Lab to ride with me on my dirt bike. We would go everywhere together... I started out by teaching him to ride using my younger sister's bicycle, since it had a basket on the front handlebars, just to get him used to it. Once he was comfortable around that and had gained my trust, I started him out on a little dirt bike and it went on from there. Man he loved to ride ! Somewhere I have a picture of him riding with me. He would straddle the gas tank and put his front paws out on the handlebars. I would slide back a little farther on the seat to give him some room. He was a great dog too...

I do have a box of tack cloths out back in the shop... Great idea ! Why didn't I think of that ? Sometimes you can't see the forest for all the trees.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Louis (@lgardner) what a difference in these two kits! On the other note, I just got a parcel with some resin and vacform, and it is very clear to me that the owner of the shop has a cat!

While we are at it, I newer got adopted by any animal due to lack of time. While living in Greenland I did occationally take care of the odd dogteam when the owners were on vacation. One team I really did not like, another I could spend all day with. Really different creaturs. - Oh, it was modeling, right, I'm off to the C172 then.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks like the Iron Werks is going strong, your back round info always edumacates me. Here'my QC inspector, They call it a teddy bear breed, I call her a designer mutt.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum
    It is just as true with dogs as it is with people. They have different personalities just as we do. Some dogs are nice and cuddly, while others will bite you without any warning. I often think they take on the personality of the owner and the environment they were raised in.

Your C-172 turned out spectacular. It also looks as if your "109 werks" is going at full speed ahead. I'll check it out in more detail later tonight.

Robert, @roofrat
    I like your QC inspector ! Dogs tend to bring out the best in us...

• Profile Photo

Yesterday afternoon / last night I made some great progress with the Hasegawa F4U-4.

I painted and installed the office.

The glued the fuselage halves together. Since I had the wings finished since I assembled them previously, it was easy to install them at this point. The elevator / horizontal stabilizers are molded in one piece, so they too were added. At this point it is looking more like a Corsair...

The engine is simple, but looks OK with a little detail painting.

I also assembled the drop tanks.

I'm not sure what the ordnance load will be on these builds, so I will keep this part in mind for now. Most likely I will use it on this plane, but I will see what I have as far as spare bombs and rockets for the ordnance load on this one...

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That's great progress Louis @lgardner!
    Nice cockpit and engine looks great.
    I love the drop tanks, too, with nice looking lip joint.
    Those Hasegawa Corsairs look so good as they are put together and I see you've done a spotless job there.
    Eagerly waiting for your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Nice job bringing the IP up to date. Those dials are great.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thanks for the compliments. These Hasegawa Corsairs assemble very easy. They do have a little bit of fit problems on the nose section, and are lacking details that you would find with the much newer Tamiya Corsair, or the Hobby Boss versions. This kit originated in the 1970's going from memory, so it isn't all that bad all things considered.

Unfortunately Tamiya doesn't make any of the newer Corsairs, like HB does. They make the early versions but stop at the F4U-1D. I think it would be possible for them to make the newer Corsairs, and have them to where they could be built modular like they have done with the new tool P-38, so it would allow for the various differences between the versions. That would be a license to print money...

Erik, @airbum
    Thanks for the kind words. I don't think too much will be visible since the canopy will be closed on this one. But if you look closely inside it, you will see something that resembles the IP !

Stay tuned my friends, as I have made more progress today on the Hasegawa F4U. It will get posted next.