Thomas Hudner and Jesse Brown’s F4U-4 Corsair dual builds

Started by Louis Gardner · 122 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Today I added all of the little detail parts that were included in the Hasegawa kit.

This was nothing more than installing the landing gear and all of the gear doors, tail wheel included. The pitot tube was also added, and I hope I don't break it off...

My friend Gary Sausmikat @gwskat
    Scratch built a set of rocket launch stubs for his build. They turned out very nice. Hasegawa doesn't include these rocket carrying hard points, but they should have, as the real F4U-4 series had the capability to carry rockets under the wings when they were delivered new from the factory. I didn't want to scratch build mine, so instead I robbed a set from a Tamiya F4U-1D kit in the stash. Now I'll have to build that one up as an earlier F4U-1A, but that's OK.

I didn't have any spares in the extra parts bins... and today I didn't feel like scratch building anything. After I shaved off the locating stubs, I used the Tamiya kit wings as a location device and using my Mk 1 eyeball, I set them in place. A small touch of Tamiya Thin glue and things were set.

Here's how the Hasegawa F4U-4 looks now.

If I have time, tonight I might just spray on a coat or two of Glossy Sea Blue. Time will tell.

As always,
    comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Here’s what the Corsair is looking like after a quick trip to the spray booth.

It’s getting late and I’m calling it a night. Stay safe my friends and as always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That's a nice progress Louis @lgardner!
    The gloss sea blue looks great.
    Tamiya kit saved the day, providing you the rocket carrying hard points, so all is good.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good, Louis! Is that gloss paint to start with or did you also apply a clear coat?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That Glossy Sea Blue looks very nice! Always great to get the paint on before bedtime so that it can sit and cure in relative peace away from fingers etc 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks gentlemen for the very kind words. The Tamiya F4U-1D Corsair kit saved me a little bit of work. I am very happy now I have decided to go this route.

The paint is Model Master Gloss Sea Blue enamel. I thinned it down some, and sprayed it on in multiple light / thin coats. The trick is to not accidentally touch it while spraying... So I painted the underside first, and once I was happy with how it looked, I placed the model on a small board, allowing it to stand on it's landing gear. I placed the model close to the edge of the board so I could gain access to the underneath side later, for the final thinned coat, when it was time for that.

Then I sprayed the top side using the same multiple pass procedure.
    Finally, I gave the entire airframe a light mist using the same color, only this time it was thinned out even more. This has to be done very carefully, as it will run very easy... and that will ruin all of you work in an instant.

The nice thing about spraying the extra thinned last coat, is that it will allow the original layers the ability to flow out more evenly as all of the paint dries.

The thinned paint sort of melts into the existing paint layer and makes things extra smooth.

Once I was happy with how it was looking, I left the model sit overnight, and I will not touch it again for several more days. I have a bad habit of somehow managing to get a fingerprint in an otherwise flawless paint job. So I will let this one cure for several days, if not more.

Thanks for the compliments and comments.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks for the painting tip, Louis @lgardner! I will for sure use this extra thinned last coat, as it looks greatly promising!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hello Spiros, @fiveten
    This is a painting tip that an old man taught me years ago. He was teaching me how to spray acrylic enamel on full sized automobiles. The thinner slows down the drying time, and actually helps the paint flow out more evenly, which in turn gives you a nicer finish.

The only down side of this, is the paint will run or sag on you very easy. So you need to be extra cautious not to get the last coat on too heavy or it will run.

• Profile Photo

Last night I did some more work. I assembled the P&W R-2800 engine for the Hobby Boss F4U-4.

The instructions are easy to follow. I'm glad they gave a good reference to how the exhaust pipes are installed.

It looks very nice once everything is painted and the parts are assembled. Too bad that most of this detail will be hidden.

Even the back of the engine is detailed...

This is what will mostly be visible, once the engine is installed and the cowling is on.

This engine will lend itself to a maintenance diorama very easily if you wanted to go that route. You could also open up some panels and that would look cool too.

Hopefully later tonight I will get more work done on the HB Corsair.

As usual, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for the extra detail on the painting tip above, Louis @lgardner.
    The R-2800 looks fantastic indeed, a nice model by itself!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That engine is indeed rather nice.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Erik, @airbum
    Thank you for the compliments on the engine. It is indeed a model in itself. I like how it looks once assembled. The only thing I see as a drawback is the size of the exhaust pipes. They look a little small in diameter according to my Mk 1 eyeball. I have not placed a ruler next to them or measured them in any way. But I just might do this, and then compare the dimensions to the actual Corsair exhausts, so it might just be me... and not a fault of the kit.

Over the last few days I have made some considerable progress on the Hobby Boss F4U. So please stay tuned for a very big update, which is coming up next...

• Profile Photo

A lot has happened over the last few days.

I built the tail wheel strut assembly. I used the locating holes inside the fuselage to ensure the parts were in good alignment.

The wings have a provision to display them with the gun bays opened up, and the MG's along with the ammunition belts are included. However, I have decided to close this up, and not install the guns into the wings. I decided that now would be the best time to do this, while I still have access to both sides of these panels.

I also opened up the holes in the lower wing to install the rocket mounting lugs. Then I started installing the mounts, just to see how they fit. They look OK to me, and the rest will have to be added soon.

I assembled the landing gear bays. They look very good and are on par with the 1/48 Tamiya kit as far as details.

Speaking of the 1/48 Tamiya kit, I had an idea... The Tamiya version was modeled after a Corsair that was restored. I'll explain.

The flaps are interchangeable between the various versions of the F4U. The restored F4U-1D that Tamiya used as a reference had the later style inboard flap that had an open step in it. On the earlier models of the F4U, this step was covered by a small spring loaded door. Starting with the F4U-1D version of the Corsair, midway through the production run, they switched over to the open step inboard flap, as it was easier to manufacture, and posed no harmful flight characteristics.

Hobby Boss has molded the early closed step version on their F4U series of Corsairs. This is correct for the early planes, but not for the later ones. Tamiya is on the left in this next picture, and HB is on the right.

The next picture shows the same parts, but this time the middle flap is included. This is the flap that is positioned at the lowest point of the wing, at the Gull section.

However, since these parts did interchange on the real Corsair, it was not unusual to see early model flaps on a later plane, and vice versa. Here is where it is best to use a photograph of the plane you are building if you are lucky enough to have a picture available.

I have saved several sets of flaps from various Tamiya kits that I have built over the years. On these previous builds, I had replaced these kit supplied parts with aftermarket resin ones, so that I could display the plane as they were often parked, with the flaps up. Here you can see a set of resin flaps along with the ones from Tamiya, and Hobby Boss.

The Tamiya kit comes with the outer flap covered with cloth. This is how the early Corsairs were. However by the time the F4U-4 came into existence, these parts were covered with wood, just as the ailerons were. Then they were covered with doped fabric and painted. This made a stronger flap and also increased the VNE speed.
    Here you can see the solid HB flap, and the cloth covered Tamiya version... See where this is headed ?

Here is a photo showing the flaps I had left over, along with a resin set to raise the flaps on a Tamiya kit. Right in the middle is the HB parts...

I had an idea to fix what was wrong with both kits. It involved swapping the flaps set from the Tamiya over to the HB Corsair. With a little bit of surgery, things were under way. I installed the original outboard wood covered flaps in the wing that were provided by HB. I did this so I would have a good starting point to go by.

With a little more work, I had the Starboard side done...and the Tamiya / HB hybrid flaps were done. You can also see here how I lightly sanded the upper wing surface, to smooth out the gun access panels.

It looks good from underneath as well. In fact, the HB kit has molded the special doors that covered the flap openings as the flaps were lowered. These doors are molded in the "Flap down" position, although the HB kit provided the flaps in the raised position... Sounds confusing.

Now I have the corrected flaps installed. You can see the end results here. I'm very happy with how this turned out. I have several other late model HB F4U's in the stash, and several more sets of leftover Tamiya flaps in the spare parts bin... So this is now an easy fix for me to correct the flaps on the HB kit.

I might even try to install a set of HB flaps into a Tamiya kit in the near future. This will allow me to have them posed in the raised position, and also fill in the pesky step that shouldn't be there usually...

I still have to install the remaining rocket stubs, but other than that, the wings are almost completed now.

Next I worked on completing the cockpit assembly. It needed to be sprayed and I used Interior Green on the floor section. The remainder of the cockpit was painted using Flat Black as was the norm for Navy planes by the time the Korean War started. This is something the US Navy started doing near the end of WW2.

Once the cockpit was finished, and the IP decals were applied, It was installed into the fuselage.

The inner fuselage tail wheel bulkhead was assembled and installed. Then the rear interior of the fuselage was sprayed with my home brewed "Yellow Green Zinc Chromate" color.

The previously assembled tail wheel strut was installed next...

This is how things were looking at this point. Now it's starting to look like a F4U !

The last thing to do for the day was to glue the fuselage halves together. This was done, and the parts were held together using tape. The fit looks to be pretty good along the seams. It will need some more sanding work to shine up the surface of the wings, and I'll probably have to scribe a few lines back in.

But other than that, I think a few swipes with a razor blade along the fuselage seams will have it ready to glue the wings on...

Here's how it looks now. I'll let this dry overnight.

As always, comments are encouraged. Hope you had a good Labor Day weekend. Stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Wow, my friend Lewis @lgardner, this looks amazing!
    I really enjoyed reading all the "flaps correction" journey above: apart from the great result, it was a definitive correction tutorial; I learned all those little flap details I was not aware of. Isn't modeling a fantastic hobby?
    Nice info about the cockpit colors evolution, too.
    This is a splendid looking Corsair!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That's some great progress and work, Louis. Well done!