Thomas Hudner and Jesse Brown’s F4U-4 Corsair dual builds

Started by Louis Gardner · 122 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Louis , the K stencils are spot on! I always was impressed by the work our paint shop guys did on applying the squadron markings when a new aircraft was delivered. you would have been great at it.
    @lgardner.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 7 months ago:

You've set a high bar here, Louis. These two are looking good.

Going through my photo files, I re-discovered my take on Tom Hudner's airplane, using the Hasegawa kit. I obviously didn't go the extra ten kilometers you did with these.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thanks for the kind words about these Corsairs... and I think like you do on how these men and women deserve to be remembered for their sacrifices. I failed to mention one other teacher that we have who is a regular contributor here on Imodeler. This is George Blair. @gblair

George is a great person, and even better builder.

I would sincerely like to have the opportunity to go back and thank my high school history teacher. He helped to inspire my lifelong fascination with the subject. If I ever get the opportunity to see him again, I will definitely let him know how he has inspired me throughout my life. We owe so much to our teachers, but when we are young, we often fail to realize this.

• Profile Photo

Robert, @roofrat
    Thank you for the kind words. I think I would have been good at doing that too, and if I had the chance to go back and do some things over again, I most likely would have chosen a different path at several times in my life. Hind sight is indeed 20/20.

Stay safe my friend !

• Profile Photo

Tom, @tcinla
    Thanks for posting your Hudner F4U. It looks very nice. I appreciate the compliments on these two builds.

Stay tuned gentlemen, for I have another update coming up next. I think you just might like it... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Tonight I added the decals to both Hudner's and Brown's Corsairs.

I decided not to add the Hamilton Standard propeller decals. Most of the pictures I have seen online show that they were often over painted and they are not visible. So I’ll let the props alone and not add the decals.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 7 months ago:

My old man would say that was a shoulda woulda coulda moment. Hey , we choose the road were on for what ever reason, and that's the road we're meant to be on, well that's my take on it, stay well buddy.
    @lgardner.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Those Corsairs look simply stunning, Louis @lgardner! And I agree with your decision not to have the prop decals attached.
    I also totally agree about your words regarding our teachers: I can only feel enthusiastic an truly respectful about them and their work, feelings that are so much expressed each time I meet one of them, sadly fewer and fewer being here with us...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

The decals break the (splendid) blue surfaces nicely - lots of interesting places for the eye here! The decals on props were most likely a factory thing, and during overhaul in the field it makes perfect sense not to have small decals shipped around the globe in a war. Great progress my friend!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Louis, these look really wonderful. Nice job!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Robert, @roofrat
    Your old man was spot on the money with his comments... We can always armchair quarterback our lives and wonder "what if"... I'm also a firm believer in everything happens for a reason. It's all part of the master plan that we have no control over. It's best to kick back and enjoy the ride... you know the deal. Stay safe my friend.

Spiros, @fiveten
    Our school teachers are some of the people who have shaped us to become what we have become as a human and an adult. Thank you for the compliments on these two Corsairs. Please stay tuned, as I have another update for you... 🙂

Erik, @airbum
    I agree the white color looks very nice with the Sea Blue as a background. I also think you are on track with your comment about the missing Hamilton Standard logo's. Decals like that were not a necessity, and were most likely omitted. Thanks for the kind words...

Gary, @gwskat
    Your comment was number 100 !

I am almost done with these now. Now I need to decide on what type of ordnance load I'm going to install under the wings on these two Corsairs...

I want to thank you again for directing me in the right place so that I could get these decals. This has been a project I have wanted to build for YEARS. I sincerely thank you very much.

Please stay tuned everyone, for another installment...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

OK this is tonight's update:

I sprayed on a few coats of my special "Home brewed" mix of Tamiya X-21 Flat Base and "Future" clear floor acrylic. After a few passes with the air brush, it knocks down the shine and makes these look more like a plane that has been in service for a little while.

I also painted the canopy for the Hobby Boss F4U. I masked the canopy using Tamiya tape and a sharp razor blade.

These parts were first sprayed using some Interior Green.

Then they were sprayed using Dark Sea Blue to match the rest of the airframe.

Once it had dried, I removed the masking and the results looked like this:

The additional windshield is for my 1/48 scale Tamiya F4U-1 "Birdcage" Corsair.

Next I installed the larger clear parts on the HB Corsair.

The small clear parts still remain in the HB box and will be added soon.

I used a Tamiya weathering deck to add some exhaust staining. Using a Q tip as an applicator I got busy. Having a surface that wasn’t too shiny seems to help. This was done to both F4U's.
    Here's how the Hasegawa Corsair looks now.

and this next photo shows the Hobby Boss kit, using the Tamiya dropped flaps and modified elevator trim tabs. The offset rudder was like icing on the cake.

Now I have to decide what ordnance I will use under the wings of these Korean War warriors. I'm leaning towards all bombs, but I just might add rockets instead. Who knows ? One plane might have rockets, and the other one bombs...
    Time will tell.

As always, comments are encouraged.
    Stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Very nice result on these and that clear finish works very well to create "scale" gloss sea blue that's seen some use. A great project comes to the successful end.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good Louis !

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Nice work Louis!