USAF Monogram 1/48th B-26B Invader

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 76 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 6 months ago:

i decided to go ahead and bring down the Monogram/Pro Modeler B-26 original 1995 release of the B-26B gun nose version of the Invader. Despite the known issues which we will be most likely much more noticeable when parked next to the ICM kit.

But building one of these and converted it as a B-26K Counter Invader using the Paragon set and Aeromaster decals back around 1995 using the A/B-26C glass nose kit molded in black.

I do remember that it went together ok, normal seam work, raised panel lines and the surgery to convert the nose and tail rudder it was the first ever resin conversion.
    I did a bit of a review in comparison to the new ICM B-26B. The details in the Monogram are good and really stands up with the bit softer details in the ICM. A much different approach as well from ICM that has separate parts with in the interior, where as the Monogram kit are molded with in the main part such as the cockpit flight deck. The center console is molded in with the floor, separate pieces on the ICM kit.
    Will forego what's in the box step and go straight to building starting with the cockpit.

Step 1 starts with the flight deck and removal of the forward section of the flight deck. Knowing this I have not prepainted the this component as usual, rather do the surgery first and then paint the flight deck Interior Green.

After the cut, next is to remove a section on the center console, as well as removing the nice details for the PE replacement parts.

The flight deck is now painted Mission Models Interior Green. The conduit and jump seat is hand painted Olive Drab.

Next up to detail the bulkhead front spar panel, before attaching it to the flight deck.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I'll be strapped in on this build as well!

• Profile Photo

Good morning Erik, plenty of room to ride shotgun and enjoy the flight.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Chuck @uscusn!
    This is another great choice!
    I have built exactly the same kit about a decade ago, OOB, and I loved it.
    With the extras and your skills it'll become a masterpiece.
    Your cockpit is progressing nicely.
    Please sign me up too!

• Profile Photo

About 25 years ago in the mid 90's when I built the Monogram C kit with the conversion. But at the time I was unaware of any shape issues. But then who cares. It was a B-26 Invader and in the end it looks like one when finished. Your booked for the flight, enjoy!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 5 months ago:

1st to work on the forward bulkhead which also has the front wing spars. Also the configuration is a bit different compared to the ICM kit. Though this is the "C" version, so makes sense the layout of the radio sets are against the wall.

Once the PE parts are added to the rear wall. I the attach it in place at the back edge of the cockpit floor.

Once the parts have set, a test fit into the LH fuselage half. Just a good well detailed Monogram kit so far. Just that the ICM is not as detailed. Like the riveting and panels on the cockpit floor, extra conduit and piping. Things that are not on the ICM kit. Just an observation. Both are excellent in their own way.

Next is to assemble the nose gear bay, side walls and doors are attached to the bottom of the flight deck which also serves as the roof of the nose gear bay. Details again are good here as well.

The bay will be interior green. With the parts boxing it all in.

Next to build the IP with the PE replacement parts. Again love the details on the panel sad to sand it all off.

The first panel is then placed on the Ip.

Next the switch and gauge cover panel is placed over the gauges and dials.

Then the finished panels are then attached to the flight deck.

Then the side consoles, electrical boxes PE enhancements are placed on the LH side wall of the cockpit.

LH rear electrical PE bits are added to the LH rear of the gunners compartment.

Next up the gunners compartment and bomb bay.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Chuck @uscusn!
    Those PE panels indeed look amazing, but such a a pity the molded in Monogram details had to be sanded off.
    Great progress!

• Profile Photo

Yes Spiros I know, there was a time I could pick out everyone of those dials and switches on the IP. The one thing that you can do on most of the Monogram kits. Long before PE and resin sets.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

How on earth I missed last weeks update is a complete mystery - but now I'm with you again Chuck!

What a massive amount of PE panels and what-nots. Looking great, and most will be visible through all that glass I believe. Well worth the effort.

• Profile Photo

Erik, probably a bit of life as there is a lot going on these days. No worries your seat is still warm so saddle up and continue to enjoy the ride.

• Profile Photo

Before we get to the gunners compartment. The last item to finish up the cockpit, is the pilots seat. Monogram has just the lap belts moulded into the seat no shoulder harnesses. So a set of Eduard's PE USAAF seat belts are used from the set, just using the shoulder harnesses.

The Monogram cockpit has a bit more details than the ICM kit. The pilots seat has moulded in lap belts whereas the ICM kit does not which is no big deal. But the details on the flight deck floor allows for more wear to really show compared to the flat featureless floor on the ICM kit. The seat is set on it's pedestal on the flight deck.

The control column is assembled and also place in front of the pilots seat. Then the flight deck again place into the LH side fuselage to test the fit. So far so good.

Now to work on the gunner's aiming device or gun sight, for the electric turrets.

The seat is painted IG

As well as the gunners sight device and armored plate.

The gunners plate is given a wash and a set of gauges also attached form the Eduards set.

Then the the 3 pieces are assembled, the gunners sight has the control knobs painted black, gie a wash and some silver pencil wear areas.

Next the upper and lower turrets.

The turrets are electric so no worries about and clear parts or whether to worry about with or without framing. They are painted in this case. Starting with the upper turret, cover, guns and lower shell casing bag.

Assemble the 3 parts with no issues. The detail on the lower housing is good.

The lower housing is painted interior green and the bag is Lt tan.

The lower tower is a bit simpler and again goes together with no issues. Made quick work on these sub assemblies.

Next up, the weapons bay.

More to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Chuck @uscusn, this is a wonderful cockpit! All those extras, together with your excellent detailing work, have produced this masteroiece. I cannot wait to see it finished!
    It is very interesting that the much older Monogram cockpit is more detailed than the ICM.
    Great job, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Such a busy cockpit - very nice!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros and Eric, it seems the Monogram pit is a bit more busier than the ICM Invader. Getting closer in getting the halves together. Once we get past the bomb bay.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I should pull mine out and finish it. I have the wing panels painted. I just need to paint the fuselage, attach the wings and dress and paint the seams and it would be ready for decals. Heck, the landing gear are even finished! I just watched Always Wednesday night. Nice flight sequences and watching Richard Dreyfus and John Goodman together is fun. Probably my second favorite Goodman movie after Monsters Inc.