USAF Monogram 1/48th B-26B Invader

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 76 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Chuck, @uscusn
    By the looks of things, the decals are right around the corner... You are definitely making the most out of this kit. Keep it going my friend, keep it going ! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, will add a bit more shades after the decals are applied.
    Thanks John, so far the different shades of OD, overspray and touchups will enhance the weathering.
    Thanks Louis, a steady process on this long term project.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Though originally planned to do the Brown Noser B-26B, Tolga built the ICM kit with those markings, so I decided to use a mixture of that set of decals with the ICM decals and created basically a typical line bird, used heavily in theater. Using a documented serial number during a phase in the war without the known markings as shown on the decal sheet as it may have appeared before having a nickname applied down the road. Still an overall OD finish.

The decals performed well over raised panel lines.

The yellow markings really pop on the OD scheme.

Once the lower surfaces were finished which wasn't much on this scheme. Next was to apply the markings and stencils along the LH side from tail to nose.

Before decaling the area around the nose. I didn't like the seam around where the resin nose attaches to forward fuselage. So I decided to fix that before finishing up the decal process. Shame on me being sloppy here.

Once that was fixed, repainted and gloss coated. Went on to finish up the decal process.

Finally while at it, was to add the stencils and logos on the props. Gloss coated and then stenciled.

Then the Hamilton Standard Logo's are applied.

Next up to enhance the weathering a bit before applying the flat coat and start on the final details.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great decaling, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Decals do indeed look great, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

The re-visited nose looks a lot better!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Spiros and John, decals do bring out the character of a plane.
    Eric it was too prominent leaving the nose as it was and had to be addressed to smooth out that seam.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 1 month ago:

I used Vallejo Flat Clear to seal the decals which leaves the desired finish. Good stuff. Decals over raised panel lines are tricky and easy if not careful to getting some silvering. This case the decals performed as I hoped. The dull coat also shows the blotchiness of the uneven OD finish over the top surfaces.

Next to apply the exhaust trails along each side of the nacelles and over the top of the wings. At first I thought i may have over did this. But looking at images from the period, these were quite heavy stains. It still took awhile to get comfy with the results.

Now to remove the masks over the clear pieces. Starting with the landing lamps.

Then the RH side compartment door window and start removing from the rear compartment windows.

Next was removing the masks from the canopy.

With all the masking's removed. Getting closer to finally finishing up on the final details. Long term project just about done.

Next landing gear installation.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Looking superb my friend @uscusn!
    Great weathering, among others!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 1 month ago:

NICE! The OD color variation and overall weathering look great, Chuck. @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice, Chuck @uscusn
    Paintwork is beautiful.
    To me removing the masks is always a good moment to judge the entire work, yours definitely looks perfect without masks.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years ago:

Thanks Spiros, a labor of love.

Gary, it was hodgepodge of a different shade of OD here and another there, random and hoped for the best, and no I did not have my eyes closed.

Yes John definitely a moment I always look forward to when the masks are removed.

Now the final details first the main landing gear struts are assembled, strong and sturdy units supplied by Monogram, for a heavy model in the end and a long term shelf life.

Natural steel painted, Nato Black for the moulded on brake hoses, nice touch that Monogram provided this detail.

A test fit in the main wheel bay.

Then the gear doors are attached. Easy choice to leave these off till the assembly takes place. They go into the nacelles easily.

Once the doors are installed, next the main gear struts are attached.

Next to assemble the nose strut and install. The Nose gear doors have been installed from the start. And was careful not to knock them off during the assembly.

Speaking of knocking things off, with all the handling I managed to knock off the bombs and one of the bomb racks. So now the bomb rack was re-installed as well as the bombs before attaching bomb bay doors.

Now all the doors and landing gear struts have been attached.

And perfect weight added as the Invader sits properly on it's gear nose heavy. It doesn't tip back.

Now to attach the kit provided wheels. Which are nice and are weighted. No need for resin wheels other than maybe sharper in detail.

The wheels are then installed to the struts, now she is on her feet.

The nose gear is pretty sturdy as well.

Stance is proper and level.

Eight rockets are assembled, 4 on each side.

Painted Vallejo Aluminum body and MM OD on the war head.

Then install a set of 4 on each side in the outer positions. The un loaded racks will be attached and painted the airframe OD. MM OD41.

The unused rockets have the mounts removed and attached in place under the wings.

Next the tail lamp is installed at the extreme end of the fuselage.

The football dome is then painted Flat Black and installed in placed just aft of the gunners observation windows.

Now the completed props are installed.

Finally the last but not least. The gun barrels are installed. I was hoping to find a brass set but did not, Hoping later I will remove the resin set and replace them down the road.. Have a feeling with the ICM Counter Invader now out that Master Craft will make a set. Don't care much on the resin ones. Will live them for now.

And she is finished.

You know the Monogram A/B-26 Invader looks ok to me. yes it is a bit wider compared to the ICM Invader quite obvious, but i just don't see how it is a deal breaker. There is no perfect kit. Even Tamiya, Hasegawa and the new hi tech wonder kits are still not perfect. Besides ICM has it's problems, shape wise much better but not as accurate in a lot of details inside and out. Either way the Monogram kit was fun to build. Thanks for viewing. Have a fine Navy day!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

A truly great finish and an equally great tribute to the Monogram kit, my friend @uscusn! Your thread was, as always a joy to follow.
    Yes, let's have a fine Navy day!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

A true gem, Chuck @uscusn
    Great to see that she turned out to be a nose sitter.
    Thanks for sharing your build progress.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, not as much fun as it was to finally finish her. And found how fun it is to build the Monogram Invader, not difficult, goes together well with the typical seam work, and the great interior details.