Mig-19PM, Hungarian Air Force 1960.

Started by John Healy · 29 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Change in plans. My modeling time for the next couple of months won’t permit me to finish the ICM 1/48 Mig-25. Instead, I’m building a Mig-19 for the Group build. You rarely see these built and I know I can have it done by 08 December. Off we go!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I will follow this build. Having a pair of MiG-15's (Monogram/Tamiya) an old Hobby Craft MiG-17PF, a MiG-21 in 48th and 72nd scale(Academy/Fujimi). A MiG-23 and a MiG-27. Lacking a MiG-19 and a MiG-25 (funny the two you have in progress). Do have an Italeri MiG-29 in 72nd scale but have an eye on the excellent Great Wall kit in 48th scale. To have the MiG lineage some day from the Korean era to present. i have never seen this kit in any shape or form built, so will be following this with interest .

• Profile Photo

It's an early Trumpeter kit. The moldings are excellent but it apparently has some shape issues in the nose area. To me, it looks like a Mig-19 and I'm going to build it OOB. One thing that surprises me about it is it's small size. The twin engines always made me think it was bigger. Funny thing is, I now remember thinking the same thing 40+ years ago when I built the Heller 1/72 Mig-19.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 6 months ago:

There is a MiG-19 here on display at the March AFB museum right off the 215 Frwy, it is slightly larger not much, than the nearby MiG-15 and MiG-17's that are also here, the air frame is a bit longer. It has been awhile but I should have some pics somewhere. I have never built one in any scale.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

You never see this version of the MiG built... I'm sure you can do it ! I'll be watching this one too. I am currently building up a few 15's and a 17. What really surprised me is they are small ... when compared to the other jets of the era.

• Profile Photo

A little more progress. I haven’t had much modeling time lately but November looks good for free time. This will build up quick once I get the time.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Looking forward to November (and bearing in mind that some say that there are three Novembers in a year, that is indeed a good month for modeling)

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Finished the cockpit and managed to assemble the fuselage today. The cockpit has pretty decent detail but unfortunately the instrument panel is one of those types were you sandwich some film betweeen two pieces of plastic. Not a fan of those. I used a a set of late WW2 RAF seatbelts as they looked pretty close to those used on the Mig-19 ejection seat. One thing that I’ve learned is that the cockpit is very similar to that of the Mig-15 and Mig-17. Very intelligent design decision that must have made conversion training easier.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Oh, a Hungarian MiG-19PM! Definitely not the greatest success story of the Hungarian Air Force - only 12 of these planes were flown, 3 of them crashed, and the others were phased out quickly once the new MiG-21F13 fighters arrived.
    It will be a great looking plane though, I really like the lines of the 19.

If you are interested here is a list of all 12 Hungarian MiG-19s with photos:
    http://www.avia-info.hu/talalat.php?Ujtipus=1192

• Profile Photo

Thank you Csaba! This helps greatly. I knew the 19 was not popular and Soviet and Warpac quickly moved on to the 21. Your phots will aid me in choosing proper bort numbers from my decal dungeon when I get to the finishing stage.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Your 19 is coming along nicely ! I just noticed you mentioned something about the cockpits being similar to the 15 and the 17... that would also make good sense for production reasons in addition to training from the older to the newer MiG's.

The parts supply chain would also benefit from this choice. How big is the MiG-19 ? Can you take a picture of it next to a ruler for comparison ? Thanks

• Profile Photo

Slowly getting there. This one needs careful fitting because of the odd shapes in the rear of the fuselage to minimize filling and sanding. Getting close to paint time.

• Profile Photo

Here you go...Spitfire for comparison too.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Perfect comparisons ! Thank you ... It's a larger plane than I expected it to be. But by your typical fighter jet standards, it's small (if that makes any sense).

• Profile Photo

Pretty much a complete airframe now. It needs a little Mr. Surfacer here and there and then time to spray some silver. These were apparently delivered with a clear coat finish over bare metal but received silver paint overall at some point during overhaul. I haven’t decided which way to go yet. I’m leaning towards a semi-gloss clear coat over metal.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.