Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-27 Flogger D,Iraqi Air Force,1991, ESCI 1/48

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 34 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Those wheels are a definite improvement over the kit parts. It’s like a difference between night and day. Good call. Your MiG is shaping up nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Eric & Louis, I don't recall such a vast difference in size and details on a replacement set like these are. Most of the time the reason I may choose to use resin wheels is for showing weight on them, other wise the kits wheels would be ok to use.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 3 months ago:

With the future gloss coat dry for a week time to decal and weather.

Starting with the distinctive Iraqi triangular markings on the lower wings. Then follow up with the rest of the stencils on the under surfaces.

The stencils are from a Linden Hill sheet specifically for the MiG-23, but taking those that are common to the MiG-27. I say some, they are quite a few of them, like doing an F-4,sheesh.

Next starting with the national insignias on the fuselage sides and top wings, banner on the tail, side numbers on the nose.

Then some stenciling on the top surfaces.

Finally after 3 days, the decal work is finished.  

Almost finished.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 3 months ago:

After flat coating the air frame. Now to assemble the neat exhaust nozzle from Metallic Details, very nice to replace the very shallow nozzle. And the rest of the air frame.

Though the exhaust nozzle is for the MiG-23 , and designed for the Trumpeter kit, it is so much better than the kit provided one. Though not exactly correct for this version of the Flogger.

The resin parts come off the blocks ok, just be careful not to break the parts.

Vallejo Red oxide primer is painted within the tailpipe and exhaust outlet.

Then using Cyno cement to assemble the tailpipe and exhaust outlet. Then the exhaust actuator ring is attached to the pipe.

Once the parts are set, I next insert the tailpipe into the rear fuselage. With the resin you can sand down the tabs around the ring. After a couple of swipes it fits not to tight but enough the sit in alignment. The exhaust nozzle will fit over this direct to the end of the tail pipe opening.

Next to prepare the nozzle to attach to the tailpipe. First Vallejo Black Metallic Metal is painted over the outer petals. Then a wash is sloshed over the details to make it pop. Next Blue Steel Metallic is paint into the petals side openings.

Finally install the exhaust cone, it is slightly larger than the fuselage, as this is made for the Trumpeter kit, however not a lot, so it will workout in the end.

42 additional images. Click to enlarge.