T-72B variant in Syria in 1:35

Started by Michel Verschuere · 29 · 3 years ago · Damage, diorama, Meng, Scratchbuild, syria, t-72, T-72B
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years ago:

The still ongoing Syrian civil war is the longest remnant conflict as triggered by the Arab spring. Since 2011, hundreds of thousand civilians perished and millions were displaced to neighboring countries like Turkey and Jordan, but also to Europe.

Describing the conflict in more detail would lead us too far here, but today, there are many groups still fighting each other and Syria seems to have earned the unfortunate status of a chessboard on to which international post-cold-war war games are played. In short, Russia supports the existing regime of Bashar al-Assad and so does Iran. The other warring factions are supported financially and logistically by Western powers, including Turkey but sometimes fight in-between themselves.

To me, it is one of the most tragic civil wars in recent history, also because I studied together with Syrians in the past (from Homs), so it is rather personal...

I wanted to build a T-72B variant as employed by the Syrian regime and visible in footage if several nature on the internet, like this one:

This is the first modern tank I built since childhood, when I built a 1-72 Chieftain at the age of 9 as far as I remember.

As a kit, I decided to bash the MENG T-72B1 out of box, not using any AM parts. I will add additional features, but this will be a scratchbuild invoving an actual kit. The main task at hand with this build consists in the research, the painting and weathering and finally, a short dio build.

The status is that I built the chassis, which involves a working torsion bar suspension in this scale. I also installed most parts on the upper hull and featured the turret of the Kontakt-1 reactive armor blocks. Yesterday, I finished the tracks using the jig featured with the kit. Off my hat: This kit is very well researched and beautifully engineered... It does however contain a lot of parts, not to mention the single link tracks which are in fact workable (if you do your best nit to handle them to rough, that is).

No offense to MENG but my kit seemed to have a few sprues missing, fortunately, the after sales service works well. If the corona virus was not around, I would probably already have received the missing sprues. Since I may have to wait months for the extra parts, I ordered the same kit again and will mix them later so the build can continue.

As for the weathering, I want to end-up with a bruised-and-battered look like this:

Although the T-72 variant in these pictures is an M or AV variant (I'm not 100% sure also because it had a rough time in the streets apparently), you get the idea.

These tanks are directly used in an urban context, where the reactive armor is a matter of life and death for the crews, who come under regular RPG and TOW missile fire. These crews must be unbelievably stressed in such an environment, where firing the 125mm main gun is by default at point blank range while the prospect of a violent death literally looms behind every wall and past every corner...

I want to make a small disclaimer here, given this is an ongoing conflict: The selection of this particular vehicle or environment does not reflect my personal views or preferences as such in this or any other conflict. I am a modeler specializing in armor since many years and my intentions are solely aimed at representing the actual selected vehicle and environment in scale, as accurate and realistically as possible. Modeling armor belongs to the arts and crafts domain within a hobby context and should at all times be considered as such nonpartisan activity.

I will keep you updated on the progress.

Comments are encouraged!

Happy modeling.

• Profile Photo

Continued the build over the last few nights. This kit is very detailed, but if you take the time, a very nice model will be the result. I received the replacement parts via the additional kit, so I could continue to detail the turret and main gun. This is the result.

I hope to be able to take this one to the primer phase this weekend. Given it's a longer break because of Easter, I might as well succeed in this objective!

Stay tuned for the next update!

Happy Easter, stay healthy and enjoy the modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Hello Michel
    Happy Easter to you too.

This is turning out wonderfully. I like the photos you have included with your build. You picked a few that were pretty well beat up. What always amazed me was how quickly our tanks were damaged when we operated them in the field. Our fenders were occasionally bent by an encounter with a tree or on the rare occasion, a building.

It took no time and ours were covered in grime, dirt and dust. More often than not, you couldn't really tell what color the tanks were other than what shade of dirt was on the tank at the time. When we returned back home, and hit the wash racks, only then could you tell what the real colors were ! The only other time you could see the true color was if it rained. Then that would wash away some grime and often left the tank in a streaked appearance.

Thanks for sharing your work with us. I'll be looking forward to seeing the next installment.

Stay safe and healthy. Happy Easter to you and your family too.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner thanks my friend for tuning in! This first picture is especially for you and your wonderful, courageous wife!

Today I continued the build, I was especially busy on the turret. I installed the main gun in place now as well as the radar, which comes together with a detailed lever. I also installed some steel photo etch you can see in the picture below.

This is definitely one of the most detailed tank models I ever built. The fit is very good, I needed some tweekin' here and there on the hatches, but nothing a somewhat experienced modeler can not do... There is no quick weekend project with this one; At times, I was nostalgic to the simplicity of a WWII Panzer when in the middle of this struggle... I think that -up to now - I spent about 25 hours building and 5 hours researching the vehicle and its surroundings. In any event: My first MENG kit but certainly not my last, makes you forgive them the missing parts twice over...

I hope to finish this one tomorrow, I have quite some battering ahead on the skirts featured of the ERA blocks. I want to make them look irregular for the kit version looks to sleek for them to look veteran-style...

Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Thank you Michel for the kind words and Happy Easter photo. This especially means a lot to both of us, probably more than you will ever know.

Boy you have been busy today and got a lot accomplished. The Meng kit looks to be very detailed, and you are doing a wonderful job with it. I wish I had some advice for installing the ERA blocks. This is something I only know about from reading and what you see on various television shows. They came out with them after I left the military. The whole idea seems counter intuitive. Putting an explosive device on your vehicle ! But it actually works, and that's what is so incredible with today's technology.

I have a few Shermans to finish, but then I can feel the urge coming on to build a Panther and a new tool 1/35 scale Tamiya Jadgpanzer IV Lang... Both with Late War circular disc camouflage patterns. Who knows, I might even join you with building my Chi-Ha...

Thanks for the wonderful post, and may you and your family have a very Happy Easter. He is risen !

• Profile Photo

Today I managed to finish the build of this vehicle. I spent about 3 hours on it, in the eve, after all egg-collecting was completed this Easter Sunday 🙂 Happy Easter to all!

The main work was on the finishing of the turret, there was quite a bit of fine detailing work left there. You would not believe how MENG managed to get some of the tiniest parts out of the molds. There where other manufacturers would omit parts or trust that - after a while - the after market would come with resin cast details, MENG does it in styrene! The high parts count - and somewhat lessened accessibility of these kits for inexperienced modelers - pays of with a great model of the original. Here you can see some details of the turret and upper hull:

I tried to take a few shots of the tank after all the skirts with individual ERA blocks were added. The effect I wanted to obtain was that of a battered vehicle and I focused on damage on the left front skirt (position reference as per the driver). In fact, a bit like in the following vehicle mentioned earlier:

To do that, I cut-up the side skirts but tried to safeguard the hinges. I used a lathe to fine tune everything and to sand the thick plastic to featured thickness of the rubber sheets where the ERA blocks are mounted onto:

Tomorrow, I will give the model a base layer of primer (black) and then wait until this is dry. I first need to double check the inventory, for I generally do keep parts separate until they are painted, like the turret MG in this case.

I then want to get to the main paint job and chose a camo scheme like in the next picture:

I researched the net and this is some general Russian camo scheme applied to T-72B1 type tanks like this. When Assad was in dire need of replacements for the many T-72 AV and M' types lost in the conflict in Syria, Russia helped out with some old stocks that had - at least initially - this camo scheme. A little research revealed that there is a tank you can "buy" in the online video game "War Thunder" with this exact camo scheme. Here are some pictures:

The main colors seem to be dark-yellow, chocolate brown and dark grey. I will apply the dark-yellow first, so to have at least one link with WWII German machinery @lgardner. Then I will apply the two other camo stripes out of free hand based on these pictures.

So in all, good progress on the Western Front this Easter Sunday.

Happy Easter and stay well, Michel.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bruce Scott said 4 years ago:

That's coming along very nicely. Well Done!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years ago:

Wow Michel, I almost missed the beginning of this and it's looking great so far. I chuckled when I read "needed some tweekin’ here". You are picking up some terribly language use from another country! 🙂

I built mostly AFV in my teens and am looking forward to staring a few in the future.

I will be following this one with great interest.

• Profile Photo

Yesterday night, I decided to make some figures to go with a dio involving this tank. I bashed two kits to do just that. I got a Russian Spetsnaz "instructor" from Zvezda's kit #3561 "Russian Spetsnaz" a fellow modeler gave me once in brand new condition. I also tried to mimic the parka worn by Syrian tankers like in this picture:

I could not really find a figure matching the exact pose, but fortunately, I had a German tanker left in the spares box out of a kit that essentially brought me back into the hobby many years back:

Tiger I (Early version, Academy, 1:35) of the 2nd SS Panzer Corps at Kursk, Russia, 1943
    That was Academy's Tiger I #1386 Those were the days! To update the figures, I really bashed everything I had in the stash. You can tell from the colors what I used where... I used resin heads and hands by Hornet (grey), kit parts Zvezda (green plastic), Academy (sandy yellow colored plastic) and green stuff there where I had to adjust the figures by sculpting: The sculpting always takes the most of my time. Green stuff is ideal for such figure updating because it sticks well and remains plastic for long enough. Where I don't use my bare hands, I use silicon pencils to reach the quality I want. The setting is that the T-72B1 gunner exits the tank to hear instruction from the Russian adviser what building to pound with some HE rounds. I opened the gunners' hatch on the tank to allow for this scenario. The german 1930-ies tank uniform was adjusted to a parka like in the first picture and the typical soviet-eta tank helmet was added as well. The Russian adviser got a green stuff cap to keep him warm... Hope you like what you see! @jamesb as you can see, quite some tweekin' on this one as well 🙂

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Yesterday and today, I added the camo scheme on top of the dark-yellow base layer. As always, I employ Revell email colors, thinned with mineral spirits. It is definitely a smelly choice of mine but I still need to try my first AK Interactive or Vallejo acrylic paint. I use acrylics only when figure painting up to now. While opting for this pain, I feel I have more control while color mixing. It does require extra research but that I also like as part of the hobby.

Anyways, here is the result:

You can compare with actual vehicles having this camo scheme:

I made a drawing of the camo outline first based on the various pictures I had and then applied the best compromise with my airbrush. I did not use any masking, everything was done out of free hand.
    On the left of the next picture, you can also see I started to hand paint the two figures.

I need to get the colors right for the Spetsnaz uniform of the Russian advisor and then the green-brown camo on the parka of the Syrian tanker. Wish me luck.

I also started to prepare a bit of a dio by making a highway barrier, but more on that later.

Stay tuned, stay safe and happy modeling, Michel.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Continued with the tracks, which I painted yesterday. I used a dark brown mixture of Revell 8 and 39 for that. The result provides a good base for the weathering as I could derive from some real-life pics. I took the next few shots after I preliminary fixed them. I will take them off to weather the inside of the track bay, but that is for later.

Also started to work on a dio base. I will make it a bit larger than my standard ones because I have some additional features and vehicles I want to add later. I scooped the web for some road signs and found them as well.

Took me some time to get color and sizing right from a picture but looks ok now. Printed them on paper for size ref although I think I will use white decal paper in the ultimate make.

I want to the dio to create the impression of an urban conflict, so I thought there was nothing more urban than a freeway with the known features.

Hope you like it thus far!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 12 months ago:

The last few days, I spent time on the dio base which is now ready for detailing. I printed decals typical for a Syrian setting on decal paper with my inktjet printer. I applied them to the exit indicator panel and on the power cabinet. This base still needs some weathering and further detailing with plants but you get the idea.

Sorry for the background in the pics. The final shots will be taken against neutral environment. I am particularly proud of my Arabic 😀 (creds to Dr. Google...)

I also continued prepping the tank for a shot of dull acrylic varnish that will ensure that the enamel paints are not affected by the later washes based on mineral spirits.

I hope you like what you see, if so, stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Michel @michel-verschuere, Wow! You've really moved along on this. With all that is going on with Covid-19 these days, it is hard to keep track of all the updates. Obviously I missed a few. The is looking fantastic!

• Profile Photo

I cleaned up my desk!

In my book, this means something! Since I like to start a new build with a clean desk, it means that this project is nearing its conclusion or - at least - that it is so in my perception. I reckon I will need another week to fully finish the build and dio.

The parts are now awaiting final assembly and - of course - the weathering.

Today's work was about the tank itself: I added some final parts and took it outside for a top cover of acrylic dullcote to make the surface bullet-proof for the weathering step. This cote is from the rattle can and dries quick. I will apply an oil wash first and when that is fixed, add the weathering consisting of an oil pin wash and treatment with pigments.

Hope you like what you see (I do!) I also added the Syrian flag to the antenna. The flag is made from printed decal paper, looks scale thickness and ok-flexible. Gave it a twist for some wind fake.

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Today I did not have much time for building, but I did give the model a wash now that the acrylic topcoat had set. Here are some pictures.

These washes are dead cheap compared with the purpose-made AK, Vallejo, what-have-you kind of acrylic paint sellers. I stick to Revell enamel which is cheap and easy to use too, I find. I just tonight read about another modeler who painted a metal barrel with acrylics and when he pulled the masking for the camo off the model, he lifted the paint too... In the end, he turned to good old Revell enamels again, they stick better on some surfaces, like metal. The only disadvantage to enamels are the not so odorless thinners, of course. Wear a mask, like everyone does now in the street! 😉

In any case, I like washes that blend in the various colors while also highlighting depth in the surface of the model. I think this job will look fine tomorrow when set!

I hope to be able to add pigments and dirt to the lower half of the vehicle in the next days. A friend of mine hinted that dust was everywhere in that country (Syria) so should be the right thing to do! This picture I found provides proof:

Quite frankly, looking at this picture for the first time shocked me, I did not know that it could snow over there 😉

After that is done, I will complete the final assembly of the model. There is some work left on the dio too. This time, the dio base is a bit larger but I plan to re-use it for other projects as well.

Ok folks, thanks and stay tuned! Thanks for all your comments!