T-72B variant in Syria in 1:35

Started by Michel Verschuere · 29 · 3 years ago · Damage, diorama, Meng, Scratchbuild, syria, t-72, T-72B
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Hello Michel @michel-verschuere

This is turning out spectacularly ! I just finished catching up with reading your build journal. you made me chuckle a few times with a few comments... Thanks, I needed it.

I spent some time in the desert as a real life "tanker" and the dust gets everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. Your food always gets sand and dust in it, so you get used to literally eating sand. You can always tell because your food gets a little "crunchy". When you are tired and hungry though, you really don't care... and everything else gets covered too, just like the last photo you posted.

The scary thing about that last photo is the commander and the driver don't have any means of communication other than yelling very loud ! Tanks are quite noisy and speakers built into the helmet are a necessity.

My Dad was also a "tanker" in the old Sherman's and he told me that in some of the older tanks the Commander would tell the driver what to do by using his feet. He would kick the driver in various places on his back (and head) and that would tell him to either speed up, slow down, turn right or left, stop and so on. Thank goodness for head sets !

I like how your signs are looking. The road wheels and the painting of the T-72 are also looking very realistic... Thanks for posting another bunch of outstanding updates.

• Profile Photo
    Bert_j said 4 years ago:

OUTSTANDING!Thank you a thousand times over...such a great mix of the real T-72 and your work in progress. What a gift...a treasure of detail...

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years ago:

@lgardner, @bertj what you see is what you get with me, as always. Glad you like my post! Will continue this long weekend!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years ago:

i started at the beginning of this build reading it all this evening, and I almost missed it. The attention to details, noting the damage, the placement of the reacting armor points. The color of the tank and timeframe. And even making the point that this tank represents one that may be still operating in combat today. As this war is currently ongoing. Rather interesting perspective. I like the touch you put on your build that is very unique in how you approach a project, the research and passion you put into it. it is not just not another T-72 tank model. This one has a story. The description of the kit as well is a nice touch. Another master piece Michel, thanks for sharing your talent and passion.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your words @uscusn, glad you like what you see here!

• Profile Photo

Yesterday and today, I worked towards the final assembly of the vehicle. This is my first experiment with pigments. I want to give the T-72 the appearance of a battle-hardened beast that went through serious fighting in urban areas with concrete buildup. As a consequence, the tracks and tank itself need to get the appearance of a dust cover of color off white (slightly sandy but also grey in between from pulverized concrete). My guiding pics were these:

The end of the spectrum should look like this one:

but I thought that to be a bit overdone.

Here is the result, presented on the freeway base I made for it, that one is almost finished as well.

Hope you like!

Now I am still puzzled how to best apply a "dust" cover on the top of the tank without covering the camo scheme in full. Also, would like to hear what your favorite way of "fixing" the pigment in place is. On the underside of the tank (road wheel bay), I worked with pulverized pastel chalks and fixed them with a milky solution of hot water and white (PVA) glue. I added a drop of washer liquid to decrease surface tension so it would flow better between the particles of pastel chalk. In other areas, I used purpose pigments from a basic Revell set, also thinned with water, PVA glue and washer liquid.

Here are some shots from the back as well.

Suggestions welcome!

So long, Michel.

• Profile Photo

After searching the WWW for more details, I finally applied the pigment today. I fixed it on the vehicle using hairspray. When that is set, I will apply a layer of matt dullcote with the airbrush. I used Revell pigments in a slight off-white finish, mixing sandy yellow with white.

I am very pleased with this finish, I also painted the figure that will go with the dio. More on that soon, possibly in the main feed!

Take care, folks!

• Profile Photo
    said 3 years, 12 months ago:

This is very nicely done.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Almost done now, fixed the towing cables and "married" the top of the hull to the lower hull. Here are some pics I took for a preview a few days ago. I am now thinking where and how I will make the final pictures for the main feed here.

I hope you like the tanker too! His friends call him Adjoub!

Have fun modeling!
    Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This diorama just has all the trademarks of a @michelverschuere build. Simply put, it is your usual stunning quality!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Lots of things to see in this display, aside from a pretty damn cool looking tank, the road sign, the electrical box, light post, reflectors. All good stuff, and lots of nice details added to those accessory items. Love the weathering on the sign and box. Very nice work!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @airbum and @luftwaffe-birdman for your encouraging comments. I sometimes wonder what would be better: more kits built every year or less so yet more detailed each time. The enjoyment is the same for me, just the display case fills up slower I guess... I'll leave it to you what to like best! Glad you like it! After this one, @lgardners group build is next!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@michel-verschuere, I will say that your attention to detail is worth the wait, and then it will take the time it will take to fill those cabinets! (I expect two new ones delivered today - just saying 🙂 )

• Profile Photo

I like that cabinet shopping @airbum!