M4 Sherman - Early (Tamiya 1:35)

Started by Niklas Eriksson · 10 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Niklas Eriksson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Some pics of my M4 Sherman by Tamiya. Built straight out of the box except the German helmet, the tarpaulin and the string. Painted with Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

That's an outstanding Sherman, Niklas! You did a great job adding all the "details" and assorted junque that tanks usually carry. Out in the field, my M1s looked like Gypsy Wagons with all kinds of extra "goodies" hanging from wherever we could fit things!

Outstanding weathering, too. Well done!

• Profile Photo
    Kyle said 5 years, 6 months ago:

What "extra junk" do they add to tanks?

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Pretty much anything that nobody wants to (or can) carry.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

And a really nice job on that build, Niklas...excellent work!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Kyle, ( @kwross71679 ) when I was the Commander's gunner, we carried:
    (minimum) 4 cases of Mountain Dew soda - he called it "Rocket Fuel" because of the high caffeine
    content - My Commander LIVED on it! As the Commander, he also had a jeep and later a Humvee -
    there were another 8 (EIGHT X 24 cans!) cases of Mountain Dew there.
    My camera bag
    A duffel bag or laundry bag full of "Pogey Bait" - otherwise known as Snacks/Potato Chips/Cookies, etc.
    If winter time, we all had extra blankets in an extra bag
    Many of us carried a Pilot's helmet bag. It was the perfect size to carry our wet-weather gear (coat &
    pants) and rubber rain boots with a rain poncho (VERY necessary in Germany!)
    I carried a special tool bag full of extra wrenches/spanners and a full set of small, automotive sockets
    (the Army didn't issue many, and it was handy to have more of a complete set)

During Desert Storm we carried 2 week's worth of rations for 4 men (14 cases of MREs)
    We also carried a LOT of water - both bottled water (4-8 cases) and a 5 gallon (20 liters) can for each
    crewman
    We carried a cot for each man
    We had a tent provided by the Saudis that would fit all 4 crewmen. (We used it exactly ONCE after the
    ground war was over - it was too much trouble and we had to be able to move quickly)
    We carried a rubber wash pan for each crewman. It was big enough to wash clothing and body and
    we could stand in it when we later got a "Canadian Shower, which was basically a waterproof canvas
    bag that held 3 gallons (12 liters) of water with a special bottom that allowed a sort of shower - it
    was GLORIOUS - we got it after 58 days with NO shower and nothing to eat except MREs (boxed
    Army food)
    We also carried a couple extra road wheels, some spare track (usually 4-6 sections), 8 cans of Turboshaft (the special oil our turbine engines used) and a 5 gallon can of 30 weight automotive oil which was used in the transmission.
    ... And a partridge in a pear tree!

There was probably more, I just don't remember more at this minute. We could ONLY carry all these things because we were in a tank!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Amazing story @mikegolf

This Sherman is a real beauty, taken right from the battlefield, so good is the weathering! Well done Niklas.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Great build, Niklas, and great post, Jeff!

@mikegolf

• Profile Photo
    Niklas Eriksson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks everyone!

• Profile Photo
    Kyle said 5 years, 6 months ago:

You were in a M1 Abrams correct? That is a HUGE amount of equipment to carry around in tank. Don't see how you would fit it in there.