Soviet ML-20 (M1937) 152mm Howitzer (1:35 Trumpeter)

Started by Michel Verschuere · 30 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Hi folks, had this one planned long time before and so, even though the current state of the world points against building Soviet/RU material, I did have a go at it. I am recently in Austria, travelled here by car and set-up my work bench here in my flat.

The kit is a bit older (2013) but as it's a Trumpeter (#02324), it fits perfectly and shows-off quite some detail. There is a good deal of small parts in sand-colored styrene in the kit as well as two PE frets. Not for beginners but when given time, it builds into a nice WWII howitzer. Ultimately, I plan to place it into an early 1943 Kursk diorama, when the Red Army prepared for the offensive in May and dragged many of these pieces to the front line in the Kursk salient.

As for progress: Built both beams of this towed howitzer, the base plate, PanTel (Panoramic Telescope) and now attached the shield.

The latter action requires careful PE bending and alignment on both sides of the support to make sure the shield is horizontal.

Next is another go at secondary supports for the shield on this PE fret, these are the bent parts on the leftmost half:

Otherwise a nice kit!

Happy modeling, Michel.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Very nice start already, Michel @michel-verschuere
    A nice little workbench to do some modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Michel, no worries about the material, after all a lot of nationalities were fighting to liberate Europe back then. Enough on that - looking forward to this one getting the usual @michel-verschuere treatment.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

An amazing entry and great progress already, my friend @michel-verschuere!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

@johnb @airbum @fiveten thanks for your support, I keep you posted. Took me about 4 evenings thus far. Every day is progress!

• Profile Photo

Hello everyone,
    Worked the gun cradle, return sled and elevation mechanism today. The kit comes with a classic two-piece barrel in halves but I got myself a metal one from RB model to avoid sanding jobs on the usual seam that so appears. The kit in fact contains a middle part of the barrel in turned aluminum but the characteristic muzzle brake is still plastic in two halves, so it does not really help.

I had to cut out the supports from the plastic barrel, which needs to be done with care. I then mounted the braces onto the aluminum barrel and built the cradle. This one comes in three main pieces (box type) and is well riveted. The edges do require sanding however, so that kept me busy. Also for the first time, I've been using putty at this stage, granted it's rivet counting...

For the rest all is fine, just some careful first (dry) assembly to let some of the pieces set overnight. The hydraulic brake arm underneath the barrel is well modeled in two pieces but I must drill it out tomorrow so that the barrel can slide over the entire length. A very fine kit indeed!

I did skip the PE jungle on the shield for now, as the secondary shield support requires more time to carefully complete, this is the hardest part in the kit IMHO just because this piece needs to be bent in awkward angles. I reckon I need a couple of undisturbed hours for that but I think I can manage.

Hope you like it!

Happy modeling, Michel.

• Profile Photo

The metal barrel is a big improvement, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Looking forward to the PE jungle.

• Profile Photo

Indeed a vast improvement, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

With some PE work on the compensator coverings now. For the moment all dry-fitted. The compensator tubes come in 2-halves so that took some sanding. The PE is rather thick so was applying some force to bend it all. Need to strap these covers down still.

A technically very challenging model so you really need to take your time on it...

Happy modeling, Michel.

• Profile Photo

Looking great so far, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

Really nice, Michel @michel-verschuere

• Profile Photo

Thanks @fiveten @johnb for your words. Meanwhile made it back from Austria.
    Continued the build with the tender and the application of more PE. These pictures show a general (dry) fit of the current towed howitzer assembly so far.

There are some armor shields to the compensators that need careful bending.

I don't have professional PE bending tools for cylindric shapes but I usually employ the shaft of a screwdriver for that or - in this case - a drill shaft of appropriate diameter. Also, there was an inner rim on the tenders' wheels that required a PE bending of ca. 18mm diameter, did that with the back of a screwdiver.

The PE in the kit is rather thick, I estimate 0.3mm which means that the bent part veers back a bit, implying that the diameter to be used whild forming should be a bit smaller than the eventual desired curvature.

Overall, I am quite happy about the result!

Next is some futher detailing on the PanTel; but - as I will use this one in travel mode - I am not sure whether the telescope was mounted while dragging the piece along, need to find some references for that first.

I reckon some two hours left then this one is ready for the paint job, but I will build the tractor first and paint both at the same time.

Happy modeling!

Michel.

• Profile Photo

This looks really superb, my friend @michel-verschuere! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

The tractor I have started somewhere in the beginning of the year was Thunder Models' S60 Stalinetz:

This was in fact a license built US "Sixty" tractor but during the was, these machines were mass-manufactured to pull heavy equipment such s the 155mm ML-20 howitzer that made up the first part of the build. The kit by Thunder Model (CN) is very detailed, featuring a box full of grey styrene, copper wire and a fret of PE. It builds into a fine model:

The build starts with the engine, making up a big part of the challenge. There are lots of tubes, connections, exhaust pipes, spark plugs and other fine details...

This picture shows the - not yet cleaned - spark plugs with a 2 EUR coin for size reference, these are in styrene. Must be the smallest parts I ever handled. I used a wet toothpic to add them to the model...

The engine is 80% done now - but as said, I had started it somewhere in February...

I finished the main parts assembly for the ML-20 too, The secondary shield attachment involves the most complicated PE bending work I ever took on in my whole life (I am 46)... Phew, happy to have pulled that one off...

Happy modeling!

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Very detailed indeed, Michel @michel-verschuere