Word Bearers Larger models

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 43 · 5 months ago · 000, Chaos, Demon, Space Marine, Warhammer 40, Warhammer 40K
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 6 months ago:

@stephen-w-towle - All of this stuff is from a tabletop game called Warhammer 40,000. It's set 40,000 years in the future and there is only war. I have no idea if any of the symbols have meaning outside the game. Thanks, all of it is fun to paint.

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros!

@johnb - It's all smoke and mirrors John! Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months ago:

Certainly the creatures of nightmares. Super work, Brian.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Alrighty, to start the next installment, I apologize for not posting as I went. I'm not finished, but I'm quite a way along, so I'm pretty much posting the build of the knight. This one has 6 weapon options which ended up needing 17 magnets. There's also 5 LEDs, 2 green for the eyes, and 3 in the cockpit. The cockpit was fitted with a working hinge and usable props to keep it open... they have to be rotated open and closed manually but at this scale, it's all I can manage. Anything you see in the kind of purplish grey resin is a custom 3d model that I've printed for the project.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, Brian @brithebuilder
    Those 3D printed parts do look perfect and add a lot to the already impressive structures.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 5 months, 1 week ago:

It certainly looks very busy, @brithebuilder, you’ve done slot of work.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress and impressive results so far, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 5 months ago:

The demon face was sculpted in ZBrush and then brought into 3ds Max to have the flames and book added. It's a symbol of the Word Bearer's chapter in Warhammer 40K. Should look pretty cool mounted to the shoulder of the knight.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months ago:

Wow! Looking amazing, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months ago:

Very nice flame effects, Brian @brithebuilder
    Will for sure look good on its shoulder.

• Profile Photo

Ok, more progress. It's close to finished actually. Just a bit more basing and it's done. The grey on the bottom is a bunch of cork tile bits I broke up and glued down with Gorilla wood glue then covered with AK Concrete terrain paste. Once it's dry I'll cover the rest and blend into the rocks using AK's Muddy Ground and Rough Terrain. Then the base gets painted dark browns and greys to make it mostly disappear... couple skulls mashed into the mud and it's a proper 40K base.

The trophy bits on the shoulder are just face plate options that came with the kit.

I attempted to paint the blue plasma weapon to look like the plasma was moving around inside the weapon and wasn't a perfectly smooth heat type gradient. I'm not sure if it comes across, but that was the idea.

The battery box is a custom model/3d print, there is a lid that just sits on top, you can see it in the image with the rocky ground.

The little dude is painted to look like the client, it's pretty close. I did add a bit more pale skin color to the top of the head to tone down the stubble.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months ago:

Awesome job, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months ago:

Very impressive, Brian @brithebuilder
    A nice way to hide the batteries.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros! These are fun model kits.
    @johnb - Thanks John. Being able to 3d model and print is such a fun way to add on to this hobby for me.