OrangeCon 2021, October 2, 2021

Started by Walt · 9 · 2 years ago · Model Contest, Orange County, OrangeCon
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Short notice but this Contest is one of the largest in SoCal, and usually brings out some really nice builds. I have attached the flyer and the link to the clubs home page is here. http://www.ipmsoc.org/
    Hope to meet some of you Californian iModeler's there.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The show was very successful, with a nice display room that could be divided during judging so you could view half while the other half was being judged. The vendor room was large and well stocked! The theme was from a picture, so I have attached a bunch of pictures showing a bunch of those entrants.

21 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some of the figures from the show.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks for posting these photos, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I was stationed in San Bernardino for 4 years when I was in the Air Force, and used to go to shows all the time. I miss seeing all the cool models that would be at the SoCal shows.

• Profile Photo

A unique and well done display at Orangecon was a shadow box that captured a scene from the movie "Close Encounters of a Third Kind". It was pretty cool with animation and everything. I took a series of pictures as I flipped the switches. There is a short 5 second video you can watch showing the animation. Very cool. https://youtu.be/mrTqgplSZsI

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

The pickup from Close Encounters is the best (IMNSHO). There's some really outstanding work to be seen, which is usually the case with OrangeCon. Amazing they got to hold it this year. But then, it is Orangatang County.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Must have been a wonderful day Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Were you able to score some discounts?

• Profile Photo

It was a good day John, @johnb, after nationals, I really had no real needs. That said I did pick up some old Bandai 1/48 Armor Accessory kits, at $2 a piece. Not bad stuff really, perfect for adding a little to a display. I also got a Eduard, Cockpit Photo-etch set for my upcoming B-24 Build. For those of you in need of oddball or out-of-production kits I would recommend Rare Plane Detective. Any show I go to where they have a table I end up buying something.

• Profile Photo

One last post showing some of the remaining kits, including buildings, humor in modeling, collections, other aircraft and some armor.

62 attached images. Click to enlarge.