1/9 Italeri Zundapp KS 750 with sidecar

Started by Michael Ezat · 26 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 1 year, 3 months ago:

OK gents , I am in . First cut for new year will be this war machine , the unstoppable three wheel beast , the mighty Zundapp KS 750 with their companion , a sidecar .

A nice kit to have company the BMW R75 of George R. Blaire Jr (a perfect build model by the way) .

The color scheme I have chosen is about a bike from 71th division , Dalmazia , September 1943 .

Not much to say , the kit is an old fashioned type , with alot of work to do on for having a really detailed model .

Τhis does not necessarily mean that it does not stand without having to do much but if you want that "something more" you will have to spend a lot of extra time on your bench .

In any case , I am starting with the wheels . Normally it shouldn't (based on the instructions) but because the spokes are not clean as they should be I will spend enough time with them to make them more real .

So , first cut and first drilling of many . I promise I'll finish it before Easter, as well as poor Zero that I've left aside .

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

A wonderful choice and a very nice chosen scheme, my friend @faraomike!
    Great progress already!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Excellent choice indeed, Michael @faraomike
    Looking forward to see it in this beautiufl scheme.
    Seems like you will be having a lot of work on the spokes indeed.

• Profile Photo

Here I am again , 160 holes , spokes and nipples later , but I think the result vindicated me .
    So , time to go below and I scratched a new wooden floor for the sidecar passenger based on photos of the real bike . I am thinking about a total rebuild of sidecar thoroughly (some framing , new floor , sidewalls etc ) as well as new "fabric" upholstery for the passenger's seat .
    We'll see, it's all a matter of momentary mood and inspiration , for now I am going back to my bench ...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks wonderful, my friend @faraomike! Kudos to your modeling skills!

• Profile Photo

Those spokes do look amazing, Michael @faraomike
    Well worth the time spended on this.
    The wooden floor is superb as well.

• Profile Photo

So , all gone right , this kit is a real joy and have alot of fun working on . Next steps are preparation of the sidecar finishing with some inner addons (floor , seat back wall , side wall and better floor support for the rear storage box ) as well a new "fabric" upholstery , handles for the gunner and a small modification on the storage box cover with new bolts-nuts , framing and better support on the side car body , for most realistic move up and down .

The frame comes into shape in one piece like the real one . My plans are to build the bike like the 1:1 so I need to have the frame ready without the front engine support that comes into the engine . Those support will scratch later .

Many parts , like fenders , the sidecar and the frame , engine parts , fuel and machine gun supports takes a layer of primer (white , gray , matt black or glossy black , it depends on the final color that each one will receive) .

Engine is half-ready , and it will be completed when it is uploaded to the frame .

That's for now , next comes first color shots and some small scratch , modifications etc .

31 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some serious detailing done, Michael @faraomike
    The washes, dirt and mud do look very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Some serious work being done here, Michael, @faraomike, looking forward to following this build.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Awesome! Everything just looks very realistic. Splendid workmanship Michael.

• Profile Photo

Wow! This looks splendid, my friend @faraomike!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Hello my friends , snow falls from sky , that means no work today , so extra time for modelling !

Alot of parts are gathering on my bench , so let's put some toghether . I start with the side boxes , giving them a "woody" look . After this , I concentrate my attention to paint everything else . Here is the sidecar after painting and some wear and weathering , the boxes with color on , bike fenders , sidecar fender , fuel tank , frame , front fork and sidecar support frame .

The process up to this result was : primer , various metallic colors on every part (darkest for frame , fork and fuel tank and lighter for sidecar , fenders etc) , AK "worn effect" fluid , painting and finally scratching with a hard wet brush until the color start to leave .

Maybe I've gone a bit overboard with the weathering-scratches , but when I start I lose my temper a bit. Hopefully I'll find some way to hide at least a few extra points, we'll see.

Then some wash with oils , and a final touch with gloss varnish .

Now I have to put some decals on , more varnish and more weathering (with pastels , oils , enamels & acrylic paints with brush etc) .

Also there are many small parts to finish , this extra day is a good opportunity to work with them .

So , back to bench , see you soon again .

Thanks for looking , be free to comment .

25 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This is some serious weathering, Michael @faraomike
    All looks very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

There’s a lot going on here, Michael @faraomike, great detailing and weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Ditto with our friends John and George, my friend @faraomike!
    Looks splendid so far!