Andrew's Motorcycles

Started by Andrew H · 31 · 1 year ago · 1/12, CB, CB750F, CB900F, Hayabusa, Honda, Suzuki, Yoshimura
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Another vote for red, Andrew @pb_legend
    Progress looks very promissing.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Guess your voters lead you somewhere, my friend @pb_legend 😁😁😂

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks all for the support. I haven't definitively settled on a scheme yet for the Hayabusa (though it will be red).

I ought to have had it painted by now, but following application of the pink primer, and getting the engine mounted in the frame, I got distracted by this tidy little package from Japan...

I apologize for my lack of posting, as the kit is already just awaiting final assembly. However, I'd like to share some of the details from along the way.

I've added some details here and there where appropriate, but otherwise chose the box theme, which is an attractive blue on silver. I would have preferred to do the orange on black that these Super Sports also came as, but also, that would have required custom decals. Interestingly, the CB750F and CB900F largely shared designs, and Tamiya even included a CB900F logo for the bike's side covers. Accordingly, I've applied that to build this kit as a CB900F.

Next, I'll begin mounting the engine in the frame, and while also working to re-clear the body work and polish up the paintwork.

11 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Amazing entry and progress, my friend @pb_legend! Looks wonderful!

• Profile Photo

Great work already done, Andrew @pb_legend
    Nice way to keep the front fork standing up straight.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @fiveten and @johnb!

With some quiet time this morning, I went ahead and finished up all assembly short of the tank and fairings, and the results can be seen below. This includes running all of the vinyl tubing.

I also added a throttle cable elbow (the kit has no provision for a throttle cable), as well as made new brake line fittings on the calipers. Tamiya's older motorcycle kits simply have the brake lines coming off the calipers perpendicularly, which causes them to route in odd directions among other things. Thus I created three of these 90 degree fittings for each caliper, which better represent the banjo unions. This was done with some evergreen tubing and steel wire.

And alas, pics of the bike awaiting the its clothes..

• Profile Photo

Wonderful improvements and equally wonderful looks so far, my friend @pb_legend!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Great additions, Andrew @pb_legend
    Also the mirrors do have this nice reflection effect.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, @fiveten!

@johnb, much appreciated. The kit included cut-to-size mirror stickers for that, so I can take no credit. 😉

• Profile Photo

She just needs a license plate, and then onto the headlines next week. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Wow! What a great pic, my friend @pb_legend!

• Profile Photo

Beautiful bikes, Andrew @pb_legend

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great looking motorcycle, Andrew (@pb_legend). It is always cool to see subassemblies to come together and suddenly there is a complete, really nice model sitting there. Nice trio in the photos.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looks great, Andrew @pb_legend, your added details make all the difference, looking forward to seeing it in Headlines.

• Profile Photo

Thanks all! @gblair, I've never really restrained myself enough to just build subassemblies like this prior to slapping it all together. I've recently stumbled across a youtube channel "MOKEI PAINT". Their builds turn out phenomenal, but more over, the videos show how delightful it can be to assembly finished subassemblies, as I've enjoyed with this build.