BMW R75 Military Motorcycle

Started by George R Blair Jr · 216 · 1 year ago · BMW, German, Italeri, motorcycle, R75, Sidecar, Tamiya, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking really good George! The result will be worth it. Living at the bottom of Africa I know precious little about Thanksgiving, but if there is Turkey around it must be a good thing!...enjoy

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Your cleaning is definitely praying of, George @gblair
    Each prepared part adds a lot to this build.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), Rory (@rory), and John (@johnb). I think I have most of the engine parts ready to go, which will then sandwich between the frame pieces of the motorcycle. I think Thanksgiving is one of those holidays that Americans invented as an excuse to eat a bunch of food, but it also celebrates an early event involving Native Americans and colonists in America. I think the holiday has taken on a more universal application in other countries. My granddaughter is coming over today, so probably not much work to be done. Cheers

• Profile Photo

Parts are coming together and they are actually looking like something recognizable. The engine parts were sprayed with Airfix Aluminum from a spray can, then I painted some individual pieces with Vallejo metals to give them a little different appearance. I also discovered that you can brush the Vallejo Metals onto parts with good results, even though it is supposedly airbrush only. I used several Vallejo weathering products for engines to make the engine look used. Tomorrow the frame and engine will come together. Yeah!

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Your bench looks like the repair shop I go my R45 ! Great result , comes perfect and very realistic !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Yes! The time came for your BMW to come together, my friend @gblair! Your fantastic job in all sib assemblies paid off. The result so far is superb!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

You must be really chuffed with how this is looking, @gblair, finished by Christmas do you think?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, everyone.

Michael (@faraomike): It is an exceptional day when you can see any portion of the top of my workbench. Building models for me is more like a full-contact sport. Of course, this leads to mysteriously missing parts.

Spiros (@fiveten): All the prep work and pre-painting is finally paying off. Since I don't know anything about motorcycles, I spend a lot of time going through the instructions and online photos so that I am sure what goes where and what color it is.

George (@chinesegeorge): I am getting excited that there are assemblies that are actually starting to look like something on a motorcycle. I had my doubts for a while. I am hoping to be done with the bike next week, but that might be ambitious given my slow pace on some of the assemblies. I am trying to decide what I want to build for the Hawker Group, and then I want to get rolling on that next.

• Profile Photo

I got a little more done today. Most of the work involved encasing the engine in the motorcycle frame, and then getting some additional engine parts completed and prepped. More tomorrow. Cheers.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Nicely coming along, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). It is actually starting to look like something recognizable.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Sorry for not replying earlier on your excellent progress, George @gblair
    Had a long weekend with my family in Barcelone, so barely time left to check iModeler.
    Your work on the engine looks great, starting to become an original one.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). No need to apologize. I think I would rather be somewhere nice on vacation instead of sitting at a desk answering posts.

• Profile Photo

Got a little bit more done. Added the cylinders, spark plugs, and a bunch of wiring. Things are starting to fill out. Next up: the muffler and pipes. I painted them a dark steel color, and now I am adding some rust and other stuff to them. I thought it might be better to do all of this away from the motorcycle, since I don't want any errant weathering rust to go flying into the wrong place. Cheers.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Wow, it’s really looking like a bike now, George @gblair, you’re building at a much faster rate than me.