BMW R75 Military Motorcycle

Started by George R Blair Jr · 216 · 1 year ago · BMW, German, Italeri, motorcycle, R75, Sidecar, Tamiya, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks, George (@chinesegeorge). All of the prep and pre-painting is starting to pay off now. I am trying to stay 2 or 3 steps ahead in the instructions for getting the prep work done. Being retired sure helps when I am looking for time to build, although I am still surprised by how little free time I seem to have. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Coming more and more together and in a great way indeed, my friend @gblair! Staying a few steps ahead of the instructions is a great approach in such models.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). This kit doesn't have any part numbers on the sprues to help you ID parts, so I spend a lot of time studying the instructions and finding the correct part. As long as this kit has been around I would have thought someone would have added part numbers to the sprues.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

The engine is coming along real nice, George @gblair
    We definitely did spent our holiday well, the perfect weather allowed is to be outdoors most of the time being able to visit a lot of interesting places. Being back in the Netherlands the climate forces us to stay inside, so I can catch up with the posts.

• Profile Photo

Preparing the pieces several steps ahead has allowed me to move fairly quickly through the last several steps. It is getting exciting, because it is actually starting to look like a motorcycle. Still a lot of step to do, but getting there slowly.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking better and better, my friend @gblair! Indeed, a nice feeling arises upon putting together a motorcycle model after having done all this labor preparing the parts.

• Profile Photo

Looking really great already, George @gblair
    The way the exhausts are welded looks very realistic.
    Preparing those parts in advance, not the nicest part though, does make the building process so much easier.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Every part has parting lines and ejector pin marks that would be impossible to clean up if I glued them first. As painful as this is, it is the only way to go.

• Profile Photo

The pace seems to have picked up a little. Now that the motorcycle is getting more and more complete, it is getting harder to massage some of the pieces into place.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking really great, George @gblair
    Can imagine that at this stage it is difficult to handle.
    Is that spring a real one and functional.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). It is an actual spring. There are 4 different springs used throughout the bike.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking really good, @gblair, a very springy seat.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George (@chinesegeorge). This really is a comprehensive kit. I just wish someone had cleaned up the molds in all the years this kit has been around.

• Profile Photo

Looking superb as it is gradually built-upy friend @gblair? And, yes, massaging all parts together can be a challenge!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). It's coming along. The hardest part for me is that the part numbers aren't identified on the sprues. So I am constantly referring to the parts diagram to find the stuff I need. It doesn't help that I am unfamiliar with motorcycles in general, and their parts specifically. It is getting worse now because most of the parts are off the sprues, so it is difficult to tell the sprues apart.