George’s Motorcycles

Started by George Williams · 184 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 6 months ago:

First, thanks to our friend Spiros @fiveten for starting this new group, and welcome to George’s Motorcycles.

• Profile Photo

We’ve been busy recently completing two Yamaha R1s soon to be posted in the headlines.

• Profile Photo

Our current project, transferred from the Automotive Group, is the Trick Star Kawasaki Ninja H2R track bike, using the Tamiya 1/12 kit

with an aftermarket transfer set from Magician Models.

Having completed the engine, frame, and the rear swing arm assembly, attention has turned to the exhaust system.

Tamiya supply this with a ready chromed finish, I have given it a light coating of Titanium Gold

Later I’ll try a bit of blue colouring around the tailpipe.

That’s it for now, more to come, happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thank you for transferring your project here, my friend @chinesegeorge! In fact, your astonishing motorcycle projects were the major factor inspiring me to start this GB. George's Motorcycles then it is!
    Great job on that exhaust, looking forward to the blue!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great looking exhaust, George @chinesegeorge

• Profile Photo

How do you apply paint over the nickel plated parts, my friend @chinesegeorge? Do you (lightly) sand them beforehand?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John @johnb.

• Profile Photo

Hi Spiros @fiveten, I suppose what kind of paint you are using. I’ve read that some people strip the plating off completely, but I’ve never done that. I invariably use Tamiya’s spray cans with no other preparation, I think they are lacquer based. From memory I think you like to spray enamels, am I right? If you are intending to hide the chrome completely then I guess a light sanding would be OK, but, be careful, that plating is extremely thin, and is all too easily removed. Perhaps you could experiment spraying on a piece of sprue.

Hope this helps.

Happy modelling

George

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @chinesegeorge! Helped a lot!

• Profile Photo

Back to the Trick Star Ninja. After the exhaust is fitted comes the radiator which is plumbed in, not much need to explain its installation, then on to the exciting bits - the front forks. They come ready plated but I followed the instructions and sprayed the top parts silver, the middle parts gun metal, and the lower bits semi-gloss black.

The wheel also needs assembly, including drilling out the ventilation holes in the brake rotors.

When it all goes together it looks a bit like this.

She will be on two wheels very soon. Thanks for looking and, as always, happy modelling.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, my friend @chinesegeorge! The front forks came out really nice!
    Drilling out the ventilation brakes at the rotors really offered a totally realistic look!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros @fiveten, thinking ahead a little, what to build after the Ninja, and I don’t have a stash, having a strict policy of finishing one kit before starting another. There seems to be a bit of a Suzuki theme going at the moment, and bearing in mind delivery of new kits takes at least a week here, I’ve asked the purchasing dept to buy a Suzuki GSX-R750.

It’s a Hasegawa 1/12 kit so should be OK, although it’s a little more expensive than the Tamiya models.

In the meantime, happy modelling.

• Profile Photo

What a wonderful choice, my friend @chinesegeorge! It is the 1986 model and I remember the impact the type would make back then, together with its designer much missed Etsuo Yokouchi's interview, stating that his nimble design was influenced by analyzing a (his) cat's ability to easily change direction...Ahhh, those were the days...

Looking forward to see your Ninja completed and to start his gem!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great work on the frontfork, George @chinesegeorge.
    Drilling those disks does give it a much more realistic view.
    Looking forward to that GSX-R750 as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros@fiveten and John @johnb. Now with the exhaust fitted, complete with a little blue round the tailpipe, the radiator plumbed in, and the front fork assembly completed, it’s time to look ant the air intake. Where you might normally have headlights this bike has air inlets. Tamiya provides some mesh for the front of these, which has to be cut to shape and cemented. I’ve struggled with this material over the years using different glues, none of which were 100% satisfactory. This time I used Tamiya Extra Thin and it worked OK. After it had set I trimmed it up with my wife’s nail scissors.

There’s some trunking to connect the inlets to the supercharger which is covered in Trick Star’s silver carbon fibre effect transfer, this was the biggest transfer I had tried to apply so far in this build, but it went on easily and shrink dried to shape.

Now she looks like this.

More to come, thanks for looking and happy modelling.