George’s Motorcycles

Started by George Williams · 184 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

A wonderful result, my friend @chinesegeorge! Looking forward to see her in the headlines!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Excellent result, George @chinesegeorge
    Would love to see some outdoor pictures.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great outcome George!... and yes, the Benelli possesses the unmistakable Italian styling flair.

• Profile Photo

Interestingly, I just did my fact finding on Benelli, and it is now owned by the Quinjuing (something like that ) Chinese motorcycle company that is part of the Geely Group. The manufacturing plant appears to still be in Pisaro in Italy however.

• Profile Photo

Wish Quinjuing come with a revival, my friend @rory...
    Kind of like this...

Can dreams come true? (but we cannot turn back time, can we?)

• Profile Photo

Hi Spiros, nothing says we can't dream... I belong to the Classic Motorcycle Club in South Africa and there is a guy who comes occasionally to the monthly meeting on a red Benelli Sei... It sounds amazing, but look carefully at the engine castings... it was largely developed around the Honda 4 cylinder of the era. Sorry George, we got sidetracked.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Hey, @rory and Spiros @fiveten, that’s what this motorcycle group is all about.

• Profile Photo

Indeed, that's what our dream Group is all about, my friends @chinesegeorge and @rory!

• Profile Photo

Thanks everyone for the discussion above, John @johnb, Rory @rory, and Spiros @five ten.

What’s next?

As mentioned I was planning to build a Hasegawa kit of a Suzuki 750 road bike, but the kit doesn’t seem to be available until next year, so………… I discovered this Fujimi kit:

It was entered in the 1986 Suzuka 8-hours endurance race, with riders Satoshi Tsunimoto and one my all time heroes, Kevin Schwantz.

Opening the box it looks very well packed with all the sprues in separate bags, no little screws or plated parts. I’ve only ever made a couple of Fujimi car kits, never a bike kit.

So here’s hoping it goes together OK. Thanks for looking and, as always, happy modelling.

• Profile Photo

Another great entry, my friend @chinesegeorge! Really interested to see how the Fujimi kit builds!

• Profile Photo

Hi George, I love your Martini Porsche 917... stunning livery. I saw a You Tube video on the Fujimi Suzuki build and it seemed to go together really well and presented as a great looking model. As you are a Kevin Schwantz fan, I have also seen a You Tube video of his Suzuki RGV 500 which looked great, but cant recall if it was Fujimi or Aoshima. None of those are available in SA. I was fortunate a few weeks back to pick up a Tamiya Honda NSR 250 which is in the long stash queue.

• Profile Photo

Yes, I too love your cars, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo

Another excellent motorcycle coming up, George @chinesegeorge. Great choice.
    Your cars are really beautiful indeed.

• Profile Photo

Thanks everyone, @rory, @johnb, and Spiros @fiveten. As seems to be usual with these bike kits construction starts with the engine.

The instructions are not as well detailed as Tamiya’s, and there’s very little written information, in fact the whole kit feels very Japanese, nothing wrong with that.

The colour call outs are brief. Most of the engine parts are to be painted with 5 parts black to one part white, dark grey in other words.

I selected a spray can of RAF Sea Grey for this.

The carburettor mounting should be “burnt iron”, I sprayed it Gun Metal.

The grey has an overall matt finish, I’ll try some dry brushing with with metallic grey to try and brighten it up a little when it’s completely dried.

That’s it for now, thanks for looking, happy modelling.

• Profile Photo

That engine is looking very nice, George @chinesegeorge