Heller 1/8 Honda 750 Four

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 265 · 1 year ago · 1/8, 750, CB, Four, Heller, Honda, Motorcycles
  • Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great job of an interesting kit Spiros. Work has been busy, so I only picked up on this build now, but nice progress so far!

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Carburettors George... great things!. I had a pair of 40mm twin choke Webers on my race car. Now those were fun to set!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks my friend @rory!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great progress, Spiros @fiveten
    Nice to see it coming together with all these tiny parts.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

Parts preparation continues...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice and shiny, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looking good, Spiros @fiveten, what holds the engine in place in the frame, does it have screws like a Tamiya kit?

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Neat to see this coming along Spiros.

One thing I just realized, going by the box top artwork, and looking at the pictures of the airbox assembly, the carb linkage, the decals and the sprues with the sidecovers...They have either a '69 or '70 (K0) pictured on the box, but the plastic & decals they provided you looks like it'd make a '71 (K1). The reason why I say this, the early ('69/'70) had a smooth airbox (OEM being metal painted to match the tank, sidecovers, and headlight fork ears). The later ones ('71 and after) had a ribbed air filter assembly (like the one in your picture) made out of thick plastic that was semi gloss black. The sidecovers are also different that the early ones had four "gills" towards the front (like the box artwork), and were a little larger; the later ones were smooth (except for where the plastic logos bolted onto the side, which in the kit is represented by the "750 four" decals). The '69-'70 versions didn't have much in way of the carb linkage, just 4 cables that ran from a junction barrel, but the '71 and later bikes did (similar to what the kit has). If you'd like I can dig up some pics, but really from a model makers' standpoint, if you're goal was to make a '69 or '70, the big thing would be the side covers (just cut four gills into the sidecovers) and paint the air cleaner assembly to match the tank & sidecovers.

Will be a fantastic model regardless, Spiros. The only reason why I'm typing this much is because of how much I've come to appreciate these bikes!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @chinesegeorge! No mini screws are used: the engine is secured in position by some fillets

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @eydugstr! This is really amazing info! I had no specific goal of representing a '69 or '70 version, so going for a '71 model is just as good, since what is provided by the kit is, as you mentioned, correct; especially taking ito account that the ultra-brittleness of the plastic would give me tremendous issues upon trying to perform surgery to the side cover. Will have to check the available colours the specific model was marketed: my initial tempting thoughts of painting her a lovely leftover light metallic blue should somehow be validated, otherwise there will be no authenticity, or would it be that the owner painted her like this? 🙂

It is really wonderful to check all these little differences between a specific bike's versions: I was always examining pictures or the bikes themselves (if I were lucky to be close to one), trying to spot every difference between the "old" and "new" model.

• Profile Photo

Guess I found a few pics of a1971-2 model painted light metallic blue...

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looks lovely in that colour scheme, Spiros @fiveten, shame about the leak, though.

• Profile Photo

Yes...a shame, my friend @chinesegeorge...