Heller 1/8 Honda 750 Four

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 265 · 1 year ago · 1/8, 750, CB, Four, Heller, Honda, Motorcycles
  • Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Yes that looks like a '71 CB750K1. Hope for the owner's sake that was a shadow, and not an oil leak...(Just trying to be positive). If that's oil spilling out he must be parked on top of a hill, judging by the way the oil streak is, and I'd guess the drive chain broke and got into the crankcase...

Spiros, can you please post a pic of the sprues with the seat, and the rear tail light pieces? The seats do have some external differences, and the rear tail light on the '72 - up models were larger and more rectangular.

Noticed that the pics you have showed the headlight ears (the parts that slide onto the forks that hold the headlight assembly) to be chrome plated, correct? This is just an observation, most of the books/restoration guides of '71's show painted ears, but some of the '71's I've seen did have the chrome ears (which were usually more identified with the '72-'76 K's).

If it's any help, think the colors varied depending on which country it was sent to. Most '71's I've seen were a candy apple red with gold stripes, or a medium brown color with gold stripes. With that being said, have seen a LOT of these bikes painted up with the silver, similar to what's on the box top (which would save some trouble trying to make gold colored stripe decals). Either way I'm sure it'll turn out great in your hands.

If anything I'm posting so much because now I want to find one of these kits to put in the stash!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thanks so much my friend @eydugstr! Your detailed approach is highly motivating!

Here is a pic containing the saddle and tail light, among others...

... here is the tail light as depicted at the instructions... ...the headlight ears are provided chrome plated (you can see them at the above pic). My light metallic blue Humbrol spray can is long gone, so I am heading towards a silver color now, which I confess I like a lot!

As for the kit, please note that in my example the plastic was ultra brittle and severely warped. This has already caused too much trouble, the latest being that I am struggling to fit the engine to the frame, as all angles are off. Not sure if my case is either isolated, or it is because of age (unlikely) or due to Heller mold limitations. Possibly a newer reissue would score better here. I think the latest was in 2015. Should you want extra pics, please tell me.

• Profile Photo

Engine partly attached to the frame...

Since all frame parts were more or less warped, all angles are off, meaning mounting the engine is an exercise in insanity, the ultra brittleness of the plastic making things worse. Anyway, awaiting for glue to cure, so I will proceed to glue all engine attaching points.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Left side engine mounting lugs attached...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

This is looking really great, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

TY for the extra pics, Spiros - the plastic they gave you represents a '71 CB750K1. If it's any consolation fitting an engine in the frame of the real bike is a chore because of a super tight fit! I'm assuming when Heller made the molds for this kit their moldmaker was given a K1 to go by, then their box art department got pictures of the earlier bike! But from the pics it looks like the moldmaker definitely go the K1 right. In your hands it will turn out great.

The forward engine mounting plate looks like it has an ejector pin mark where a hole should be; can take a pic to illustrate. Both plates look really accurate as does the hook ups for the oil lines to the oil tank. Heller did bring their A game to this kit, all things considered.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Despite the difficulties with the kit, your motorcycle is really coming along nicely, Spiros (@fiveten). My number one bike should be appearing soon.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 6 months ago:

The engine and frame look good in your pictures, Spiros @fiveten, letting the cement really set before proceeding with the next stage is the best way to try and cure the warping.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @eydugstr! Knowing the exact version makes things clearer. I will drill out the hole at the front engine mounting plate - I wouldn't have noticed it, thanks for this! I also have to work on the area behind the rear plate: as you can see, it is mismatched, due to parts warping. I "elected" for a mismatch there, as I thought this area would be invisible...which turns out is not the case...oh well! Not a walk in the park so far, but, still, a very accurate kit!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair! Looking forward to yours!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @chinesegearge!

• Profile Photo

This is an older pic but hope it helps, with regards to the front mounting plate. If you'd like can take a better pic tomorrow morning, get a little closer pic for detail on the rear plate.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Yes, this is perfect, my friend @eydugstr! Here is the hole opened and paint drying...

Thanks so much!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great work done, Spiros @fiveten
    The mounting plate does look like the original one this way.