NSR 500 - new build thread:

Started by IAN JACKSON · 48 · 10 months ago · 1/12, Honda, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 1 year, 5 months ago:

In my YZF thread I mentioned that I was hoping to buy / build the Tamiya Hayabusa as my next motorcycle project, and I still will, but on our local NZ auction site this kit popped-up for just $45.00 NZD (roughly 24.00 euros)...

...it would have been rude not to buy it, right ?

Updates along the way, very low parts count and no plating to get rid of, so assembly will be quite rapid. For this one, the BIG thing will be the paint & decal finish on the fairing - Love a challenge. All the best from NZ, stay tuned folks.

Ian.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great entry, Ian! Ironically my Hayabusa rebuild was derailed by me starting a Honda, albeit a CB750F.

Looking forward to watching this build!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I love those Honda factory colours, Ian @ij001, looks like you snapped up a bargain.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking forward to your build, Ian (@ij001). This should be a fun one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

What a great entry of a beloved motorcycle, my friend @ij001! Indeed, a bargain! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great entry, Ian @ij001
    At that price I also would have no doubts to buy it.
    Looking forward to you build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gentlemen. Was my day-off today so did get a little done - certainly isn't anywhere near as easy as the Yamaha kit, but I'll make it work.

Ian.

• Profile Photo

Frame & engine done - I painted the frame a darker aluminium than Tamiya suggest simply to highlight the contrast between it and the fairing, (call it a wee bit of artistic license). Next I'll get the swing arm and rear suspension attached.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @ij001! The aluminum shade looks dead on!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

This will be a good one, Ian (@ij001). Looking forward to the build.

• Profile Photo

Hi Ian @ij001, I think Tamiya’s colour callouts are sometimes a little questionable so I’m sure your frame colour is just right, it certainly looks great in the photographs. Looking forward to watching your build progress.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great work on engine and frame, Ian @ij001
    The darker aluminum does look correct.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking good so far Ian. I have the same kit arriving via courier on Monday, so going to follow your build with interest. Mine cost R330.00 (South African Rand). My daughter lives in Auckland, and we recently bought her a baby shop voucher, so knowing the exchange rate, mine only cost about NZ$30.00, so same as you, I just had to buy it! If I relate that though, the Tamiya Ducati Tri Colore would equate to around NZ$95.00 for perspective.

• Profile Photo

International prices and exchange rates are interesting, that kit is being advertised here in China for RMB 98.00, that’s about £8.25 English pounds, not including postage, definitely a bargain.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

W O W... that's a steal. Reckon the Hayabusa would be around the same then... ?