Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki GSX1100S Katana

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 108 · 1 year ago · 1/12, 1100S, GSX, Katana, Motorcycles GB, Suzuki, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Hi everyone!

This will be my first ever motorcycle attempt, for which I chose the now classic and (as the motorbike Experten say) solid Tamiya kit.
    The Katana needs no introduction, since it is one of the most iconic superbikes evet constructed, not because of its technological supremacy (actually it was relatively conservative), but for the superlative futuristic looks her designer Hans Muth decided to treat us with.
    More to come!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great entry Spiros! The kit shows its age subtly when compared to the newest Tamiya offerings, but it builds up great none the less. Looking forward to you progress, I have this kit about 85% complete (SoD for no justifiable reason), and im not sure if I should post here or in the articles page when completed.

Thanks too for creating this group!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @pb_legend! You should definitely post yours at the headlines when completed, but it would be great if you post it here as it stands at the moment and document your progress.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 1 year, 6 months ago:

I am looking forward to seeing this take shape mate, didn't one of these bikes have a pop up headlight

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @neil-foster! Not sure about the headlight, probably was fixed, but I think another Suzuki superbike had a pop-up one. Will have a look!

• Profile Photo

Starting off...

So Tamiya (though an elderly one...)!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 1 year, 6 months ago:

I remember when the Katana first came out, man the bike created quite a stir with it's "Futuristic" styling. Now, it's just tame. I am a Harley guy, and all my buds wouldn't touch it. Now, the newest Harleys look similar to me. Nothing stays the same except change. Enjoy the build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @billkoppos! How about building a Harley here?

• Profile Photo

Engine, air filter, swing arm and exhausts assembled. The engine is used as a jig, in order to align the exhausts...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

What a great entry and ditto start, Spiros @fiveten
    Something without wings is really out of the box thinking.
    For sure your modelling skills will turn it into an amazing bike.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

The exhausts had their seams scraped off. The joints gaps were initially filled with liquefied styrene...

• Profile Photo

And here is the progress so far...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Hey, Spiros @fiveten, thanks for creating this group. You’re making great progress on this Katana already, using the engine as a jig for the exhausts is a solid idea. Looking forward to following your progress.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @chinesegeorge!