Team Suzuki ECSTAR GSX-RR '20 - Tamiya 1/12

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 221 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Those pads look fine @johnb, I can’t see any glue marks.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looking good John, a bit late for this but you could always try my favourite, Pledge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

@chinesegeorge, thanks a lot, George.
    @kalamazoo, thank you, Allan. Might give that a try next time, seems like they sell it here as well. I was also thinking that maybe put a bit of clear coat on it might also work. Not sure if anyone has tried that as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

These clear cushions look utterly realistic, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 2 months ago:

@johnb - The build is looking fantastic John. Have you found a fix for the decal mishap?

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder, thank you, Brian. A layer of clear coat has been applied and once fully dried I will mask the missing piece and spray the mica blue. Since the rattle can will cause a lot of overspray, I need to mask the entire bike first.

• Profile Photo

Tried to solve the decal disaster. As said in previous posts, the idea was to first apply a clear coat prior to masking. That went well, the clear coat formed a nice smooth layer.

Put some masking tape around the broken decal and wrapped the rest of the bike in cleanroom paper, this is very nice material since it does not leave any dust particles or fibres.

Unfortunately the paint reacted horrible with the clear coat, it simply started to disolve. The result was horrible and I had to remove the affected area. Used a toothpick to remove the remains which felt like gum.

After cleaning up the bad part, I masked everything again and gave it another try. This time the result looks a bit better but far from perfect. Once everything had dried sufficiently I will check wat is required to make it look acceptable.

To finish the evening positive, I added the decals to the front fairing and applied a clear coat. The windshield is not mounted yet.

• Profile Photo

Pity for the paint mishap, my friend @johnb 🙁
    Still, the repaired section looks great! Possibly similar repairs would have taken place in reality...
    The fairing looks fantastic!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looking good now, @johnb, which clear coat do you use?

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. Unfortunately it will not become a contest winner this way, but I can still display the other side in my own cabinet.

@chinesegeorge, thanks a lot, George. Used Vallejo gloss clear coat (28530). I guess this varnish, being acrylic, does not behave well with the Tamiya paint being synthetic.

• Profile Photo

And this is how she looks after some touch-up at the repaired decal and after mounting the fuel tank. This is done by only two tiny screws. The saddle is a dry fit since this needs to be matt in the end so I will glue it after the entire bike is gloss coated.

• Profile Photo

And with the side pads on the tank and frame, the repair is not visible anymore. I'm glad I followed all of your advise.

• Profile Photo

Looking super, my friend @johnb! Great that the compromised area became invisible!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. Hopefully the fairing will fit easily without creating damage.