Team Suzuki ECSTAR GSX-RR '20 - Tamiya 1/12

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 221 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great news, John @johnb, looking forward to watching your progress even though I know you’re busy with other projects

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. Had a quick look inside the box and it looks amazing. Will take some pictures next weekend.
    @chinesegeorge, thanks, George. Currently three ongoing projects, but those are slowly reaching the final stages.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Unpacking the box is as exciting as receiving the package from the postal service.

When opening it, you will, like in most cases, find the sprues which do look nicely detailed, no signs of flash and seem to be molded with a softer feeling plastic.

At first, parts included in white.

Next, two sprues in black

and one sprue in grey

Next a transparant sprue and a tiny bag containing the tyres.

Besides that also a screw driver and some very small screws are included, as well as a metal spring.

These kind of tools, I have never seen in all the boxes I have opened before in my modelling history.

An instruction book together with decals and masks

The instruction booklet is very detailed and also names the parts that will be mounted in each step.

For decalling a nice colorful sheet is provided.

All the above do look like great ingredients for an enjoyable build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

The ingredients look great, my friend @johnb!
    Looking forward to your build!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I’m sure you’re going to enjoy this John @johnb, looking forward to your build. By the way, you should find the screws and the screwdriver are magnetically attracted, it makes things that much easier.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros. Once the 109 is finished, I might start with it.
    @chinesegeorge, thank you for the hint, George.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Seeing so much amazing bikes being build here, I could simply not resist to make a start on my Suzuki.

Usually having a maximum of two builds in progress, which was the case after finishing the Emil, and having the DC6 and B17 in painting stage, I thought it would be okay to have this one on my bench as well. Well basically this is just an excuse for myself 🙂

This will be my first ever motorcycle build, which means studying the manual and dry fitting several times before applying glue or paint. Like seen on most motorcycle builds in this group, also the Tamiya starts at the engine. I seperated the parts and did a dry fit. As expected, the Tamiya fits really nice. Will do some cleaning up before glueing them together.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great start, @johnb, I know how you feel about starting a new project, it can be very exciting. Taking things slowly stage by stage is definitely the right approach.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great start, my friend @johnb! As our friend @chinesegeorge said, one step at a time and a great result will come!

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge, thanks, George. For sure I will take it easy on this one.

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

• Profile Photo

Work on the engine continues, quite some nice detailing and clear painting instructions.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Engine looks superb, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros. Still a lot of parts to be added to this engine.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looking forward to your build, John (@johnb). I am envious of the sharp detail on your kit. It makes mine look like a dinosaur.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great start, @johnb, the engine is looking terrific, nice contrast between the various colours, and you’re right, the Tamiya instructions are very clear.