Team Suzuki ECSTAR GSX-RR '20 - Tamiya 1/12

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 221 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@chinesegeorge, thank you, George. Indeed, started to work on the front fork.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@johnb - that really is coming together nicely John. I really like that the kit even has noticeable welds. Great details.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder, thanks a lot, Brian. Those molded weldings do indeed look very realistic, compliments to Tamiya.

• Profile Photo

Front fork is assembled and dry fitted to the frame.
    The frame turned out too dark and I would like to brighten it a bit, issue is that the swingarm does already contain decals. With everything already mounted I think respraying might do more harm. Does anyone has an idea on how to lighten the frame.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@johnb - if you really feel you need to lighten the frame John, I think your best best will be to do some brush work. If you thin your paints to what is essentially a glaze you should be able to lay down several very thin coats until it's the lightness you're going for. Seems a bit dangerous no matter what but it doesn't seem like masking and spraying is even feasible. If it's thin enough, there won't be any brush marks. I work a lot with Citadel and Vallejo acrylics, and it's a great technique. Seems far more difficult with Tamiya paints. They do thin well with Vallejo airbrush thinner, but the others thin great with just water. I'm not a motorcycle aficionado though, so I never would have noticed. I think it looks great as it is.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Lightening the frame color is now a risky business, my friend @johnb! "Leave as is" seems by far the better option...

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder, thanks for the feedback, Brian. I might give this approach a try on a test piece, I'm using Vallejo acrylics as well. However, brush painting is really what I'm good at, so need to think this 'problem' over.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. I'm tending to leave it as is, although I would like to try out Brian's (@brithebuilder) suggestion on a test sample.

• Profile Photo

Sounds like a great approach, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Hi @johnb, I think you should leave it as it is, it looks OK from here, and, remember, a lot of it will be covered up by the cowlings anyway. I suppose it might be possible to disassemble the main frame engine components for repainting, but I fear you might do more harm than good……… hope this helps.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge, thank you, George. Quite some parts are alreay glued to the main frame, the radiator for example. So taking everything apart is not doable. Repainting the swing arm might be the most difficult one because of the decals. Need to think about it.

• Profile Photo

Mounted the brake discs and the front wheel in the front fork. Also started to add the decals to the tyres. The front fork is still dry fitted.

Also have decals which should show the name 'Michelin' on it. The provided decals do however only have the blue background.

@chinesegeorge, I do see on your model that yours do have the text 'Michelin' on them. How did you get that done, I'm not able to locate those text decals.

Edit: can it be that the text is on the backside of the sticker, don't see it shining through however.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I agree, John (@johnb), it is looking great. I also agree with those who think you should leave the color as it is. When I try to repaint something, I get more negative results than I do positive ones. Things usually turn out better if you strip all of the paint, but I wouldn't consider that.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Hi @johnb, yes, the Michelin word is on the other side of those stickers, you’re looking at the sticky side that will eventually not be seen. If you haven’t used these stickers before the Tamiya instructions give you an accurate procedure which be followed. I use a small paintbrush to soak them in water once they’re in place, and also use the brush to carefully remove the backing paper as well, then pat them dry with a tissue. Hope this helps.