"Force ten from Navarone"

Started by neil foster · 29 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years ago:

C'mon now mate, I cannot mention all of them, but yeah "A Bridge Too Far" one of my all time favorites. I remember I was 15 years old when that came out but couldn't go to see it cuz it was rated R. I asked my dad to take me and he outright refused saying it was too violent. Truth was that dad served with the 82nd Airborne during WWII and he was part of Operation Marketgarden as well as many other operations. Dad had a rough go during WWII and after the war, he wrestled with demons for the rest of his life. I understand now why dad did not take me to see "A Bridge Too Far" and why he never watched war movies in general. Eventually, I did get to see it and I now have it on DVD. Always liked Micheal Caine.

• Profile Photo

P.S. Susannah York may be tasty but Camille Coduri is my kinda feast. Double meat pie and mash, yum yum eat 'em up.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

So you appreciate the fuller figured lady eh ? well I'm with you on that ,gotta be Lyndsey Dawn Mckenzie for me though, mmm please sir can I have some more ?
    N.

• Profile Photo

Well, I prefer the term voluptuous, but yeah, full figured women cannot be beat.

• Profile Photo

How did we get on to this you mucky lad ,I started bitching about Mel Gibsons crappy movies...so anyway this ones a bit wierd but what about Jessica Rabbit.

• Profile Photo

Well, she ain't bad, she is just drawn that way. As far as Mel Gibson is concerned, yeah his movies are complete c**p, especially that one with the beaver puppet. The only Mel movies I ever liked was the original "Mad Max" and the first "Road Warrior". Another movie I forgot to mention that I really enjoyed was "Master and Commander the Far Side of the World". Another voluptuous actress that I forgot to mention is Martine McCutcheon, I really like looking at her. I am a bit of a mucky lad, aren't I ?

• Profile Photo

You like those English girls don't you ? I would die for Martine, what about little Sam Fox OMG,
    G'night pal ,bed time here in Blighty,N.

• Profile Photo

Oi Martin,

What do you mean by "Novel ideas about American volunteers in the Battle of Britain" ?
    There were, in fact, quite a few American pilots who served in the RAF during the Battle of Britain and beyond. Most of them had to cross over into Canada then over to England. Ever hear of the American Eagle Squadron? This is one of the non-fictitious parts of Pearl Harbor. How it was that Ben Affleck got over to England in the movie was pretty much bollocks though.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years ago:

The Alistair McLean movies, Force 10 from Navarone, were fictional, movies like Clint Eastwood's "Where Eagle Dare" Kelly's Heroes, were quite entertaining, Taking moments during the war where men operated in covert missions sanctioned or not. Another good one is the USS Nimitz finding it's way in the Pacific right before the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in "Final Countdown", then there is the fictional yet based on facts in the movie "Midway", with Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda etc, lot of stuff woven into the main story still I enjoyed it. Private Ryan was excellent great characters, The Korean war flicks, "Hunter" F-86's in action, The Bridges of Toko Ri, Panthers in action, early helo rescue ops. A true favorite, The Flight of The Intruder. And any John Wayne war movie. Iwo Jima to name one. Though there is nothing funny or fun about war, but there are a couple of movies that pulled it off, like Father Goose, w/Cary Grant, Stripes, Operation Petticoat.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• Profile Photo

The fact that the ladies I mentioned are English is just coincidental. I love them because they are voluptuous & curvaceous.

• Profile Photo

I gotta take my hat off to Alistair McLean. I read most of his stuff and was never disappointed. However, the movie version of "Force Ten from Navarone" just plain sucked. The fact that it was fictitious does not make it suck any less. Movies like The Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, The Dirty Dozen, The Eagle has Landed, Cross of Iron, etc, though fictitious (or loosely based on facts) were quite good and thoroughly entertaining. Who in the Hell does not like Kelly's Heroes? Totally fictitious, but it works and works very well. Gotta love Donald Sutherland as Sgt Oddball.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

There are other "goodies" yet to get a mention! What about "Ice Cold In Alex" - one only film that can make to run to the fridge for a beer 🙂 . "The Longest Day" - great film with just about every major star at the time including John Wayne , Robert Mitchum, Sean Connery & Richard Burton! As for duffers what about "Mosquito Squadron" with David McCallum - really bad cos they actually destroyed REAL Mossies during the making of the film 🙁 .

• Profile Photo
    Gary Jordan said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Hey guys ! I know this alittle late on this topic . But I have enjoyed reading it and it got me thinking about some of my favorite war flicks . And lo and behold one of the best war movies on my top ten list was on yesterday , The story of G.I. Joe . Yes I know it's about grunts but ya gotta admit it don't' get any better .

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Well played, Seamus! Aren't they just? Sarah Miles, as an addendum. Magnificent Men, close enough.

Whoever posted the comment about the old maid and the cow, I missed the part (literally and figuratively) that she kissed. Now it will really be a favorite of mine, properly adjusted for Yank sensabilities, mind you.