"New" Trend on Old Subjects

Started by Joe Caputo · 3 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Perhaps it's my imagination, but I feel I'm noticing a renewed interest in "old" models, and building those already in our stash. Not only are we returning to those because of escalating costs, but also because those were the kits that got us interested in the first place. Every where I turn lately, some one is building a Monogram this, or a Revell that, or perhaps an ESCI, Airfix, or Matchbox, and having a good time doing it. What do you think?

• Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Agree with you there Joe :). Modelling on a budget i'm raiding the stash regularly, and only buy new now if I've accumulated enough saved cash. As others have observed in these pages its great putting in a bit more effort on the old kits or trying out new skills with them to get a "modern" result. Great as the new Tamiya and Hasegawa kits are I sometime feel a bit flat at the end of one of their kits as they go together without any great effort, if you know what I mean! Monogram are my particular favourites as they are basically sound to begin with in respect of the general outline of the real thing. Some of the old Airfix 1/72 for example will never look accurate without MAJOR surgery eg the Spifire IX but are still fun to build.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 9 months ago:

As for the above comments, I agree with them both. Returning to a hobby after a long break, the newer kits go together very well indeed, with companies re-tooling their older kits. To build the "old stock kits" is much more work and in the nicest sense rewarding as you iron out all the problems. As Gregor said FUN , to me thats what it is all about.