Well kind of model related, but not

Started by Rob Anderson · 21 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Just a note about how nice this forum is. Just got insulted one last time over on Hyperscale, tried to ask why people were getting so petty over there and had my post removed. I understand the removal part, and damn it I spent 26 years in the Navy I have pretty thick skin. I just don't get the tone over freakin' model airplanes! This is fun, right? We can like or not like things. Anyway I think I have posted my last post over on HS, too much to wade through. Ok ranting done!

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Rob,
    I can not agree with you more. I have been doing this for over 60 years and I do it because I like it and I like to have fun with it. I try to be as correct as I can but silly millimeters here and there don't bother me in the least. I gave up entering contests because I just wanted to have fun doing this. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, then I can handle that and will assume it is a duck. What I do and I would hope all others do is try to create an illusion. Nothing we do in modeling will ever be exactly like the real think.In fact a model is not supposed to be like the real thing. It can only represent the real thing. So what we do in essence is create illusions, not life.

I agree with you that this site is the best. I feel I have found friends all over the world whom I will probably never meet that share the same love of modeling as I do. Granted some are way above my skill level but just to see their work and share this site with them is indeed my privilege.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Apparently the kerfuffle over the Eduard 109G-6 has brought the good old days of the "Jackals" on Rec.Models.Scale. to "Plane Talking"

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Rob ,before I found this site I used to post on one or two other sites and got completely hacked off by tedious little tossers whinging on about rivets and tyre tread patterns this site is just about friends with a common interest, long may it continue.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Yes this place is fun, and we can do critiques of kits and products here, I have posted one or two myself , I'm still a bit miffed at the Alley Cat HU-16 nose, but their canopy is working out great on the Trumpy piece, so I will forgive them the hull parts:) That said however, I have yet to see anyone get all bunched up over reviews here positive or negative! I used to think of HS when I wanted to post pics of a finished kit or one in progress, now they are an after thought, I always think of posting here first. Plus it is so much easier to do, no NW54 hassles and all that!

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Yep its a good place for modellers isn't it? Fair exchanges of views and opinions with no nit picking, or obessing over the the smallest details. I haven't looked at Hyper scales's forums, and having heard the comments from all at i-modeler i'm not inclined to get involved at that site. The galleries are good though, and I enjoy looking at other folks work.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 11 months ago:

The only time I even look at HS now is when someone on this site mentions that something interesting is going on over there. I used to post pictures over there but it was pain in the a** so I stopped. A fellow modeler mentioned this site & after reading some posts & finding out how easy it was to post (especially pictures) I was hooked.
    Have enjoyed every minute of 'iModeler' since. It is growing every day with no end in sight.
    Keep up the good work Martin.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I gave up trying to post photos on Hyperscale ever since they changed their format. I do still visit there to see model submissions, and browse through Plane Talking, though I think the sight has become very commercial. I really enjoy imodeler because it is so easy to navigate through the various groups. One of the things I like most is to just click on a modeler's name and you can see every article he has submitted. For instance I just clicked on you Al, and though I have seen all your articles before, I still enjoyed visiting them again. We have a lot of good modelers on this site and lots of diversity in subjects. I appreciate it that modelers on this site are very positive about the work they see here.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Right you are Rob. I too have posted my last on that site. The majority of folks there are cool, some even great, but it is ruined by a nauseating cast of tucous kissers, add to this the nastiness and bickering, and I couldn't take anymore. Throw in the ease of posting, features and excellent guys here, there is no contest. The tone is just totally different. Great job Martin. (No that is not toucous kissing) 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I've never looked at hyperscale, and, after what I've read, probably never will...I'm sure there are other modelling sites, but, iModeler seems to suit me, everybody is very friendly, it's easy to use, it's fun, and the submissions are to a very high standard (except mine!), and it's non-commercial. Keep up the good work, Martin.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I have personally met and talked to (though briefly) Brett Greene on two occasions over the years. As I have said before, Brett is a bit of alright. One of the nicest lads a person can meet and a real gentleman to boot. How in Hades restroom did his site become so chock full of sots? Most people who know me will tell you that I am a miserable bastard of Erin and maybe rightly so. So if I am such a miserable bastard, it says a lot that even I do not contribute to Hyperscale. Even I cannot tolerate the shenanigans & paddywackery of that lot of elitist gobshites. Finding this site is one of the top five best things that happened to me in the last five years. I yam what I yam and that's all wot I yam, nuff said.

• Profile Photo

And he calls shenanigans on HS! Well hopefully things will go in cycles there as they did on Missing Lynx. I avoided ML for years and a number of the old time ML folks like Mirko did as well, at one time having a separate invite only forum that sadly also digressed as it grew. ML has gotten much better over the past couple of years, with only the occasional flare up so I hope HS will improve again as well. As far as iModeler goes, I think if we all keep it friendly, helpful and honest we will have a great enjoyable community to visit for years to come!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I agree with you Rob, this is a free an easy site, modelers for modelers by a modeler who has created this wonderful site. Members from all over in all levels of skills. The chemistry here is quite good. I rarely frequent Hyperscale, spend more time on ARC not as touchy there, though the usual know it all's are there as well. You will find that the guys and gals here are friendly and helpful with tips and may point out any discrepancy in a positive way not to critical in their critique. Martin has done a wonderful job with this site and it is growing. So from one retired sailor to another have a fine Navy day!

Chuck
    Fly Navy

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Gentlemen, you do realize that I'm going to print out this thread and frame it for display in my office? 😆

• Profile Photo
    bob mack said 9 years, 11 months ago:

well you all know how i feel about hyperscale...like swimming in shark infested waters...i'm at home here