Well kind of model related, but not

Started by Rob Anderson · 21 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Well it has nearly been a year now since I found this site, quite by accident, I was looking for colour schemes for the Beau I was building. Sadly if suffered the curse of the Humbrol Acrylic Satin Varnish, crazed like paving.
    I have found like the rest of you , this site is so laid back, thanks mainly to the contributors and Martin`s great work.
    As a returnee to the hobby and also having the internet , it has helped me enormously.
    With both practical help and the encouragement from the crew here, it has made my modeling more fun and also the social side as well.
    I am also a member of another forum Brtitmodeller, which again is a great site but there are some R.Cs there.
    I was very fortunate to win the Hellcat on the random draw last October, the first time I have ever won anything and I was over the moon.

Please Please keep the good work everybody and thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so kind and friendly.

Simon

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I will have to echo everyone else's sentiments about this wonderful site. The encouragement and assistance I've gotten from numerous people here helped make my return to the hobby an amazing experience. Many thanks to you, Martin, and to everyone else here for making me feel welcome.

I too, won a Hellcat kit in a random draw a while back. It was a pretty cool feeling when it arrived, hope to get to it soon.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Well, I feel a bit of a traitor...

I hadn't visited Hyperscale for maybe two years, but recently decided to check out Brett Green's new book about the Airfix Typhoon as I'd seen it was available as a download version, and then decided to post photos of two or three builds I'd done in the past few months (first posted here). Generally, most comments were positive, but I have to say with the first posting came the listing of all that was wrong with the kit/build - all the reasons I had stopped visiting the site previously. You find yourself having to respond to justify technical choices and it becomes exhausting in the end.

That said, I try to avoid commenting negatively about HS, simply because you feel yourself sliding into the same tit-for-tat pointless exchanges that you've come to recognise as unhelpful and against the modeller's 'code' of goodwill and mutual support. Fair to say, I've satisfied my curiosity for another couple of years at least.

If Hyperscale is the Holiday Inn hotel chain of modelling, iModeler is the boutique hotel.

I never did buy the book...

• Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I like iModeler.

I joined in April mainly because:
    Its easy - I really liked the 'steps 1, 2, 3' at the top of the front page. Shoot that's so easy a dumb ol' hillbilly like me can do it.

The whole interface is easy to follow, easy to browse and encourages visitors to stay.

I've looked at the Hyperscale page and found it complicated and overly commercial. The thread format is not inviting like iModeler and I just am not patient enough to dig into it much. So I haven't experienced the snarkiness there I read others have been exposed to. The site itself hasn't encouraged me to want to post anything or participate, though I am sure there are lots of experts who could tell me exactly how many frutinator springs my model should have and where they go...

Now granted I see some fantastic models posted there. But I see fantastic models posted here too...which brings me to another reason I like iModeler...I feel warmly welcomed here, despite my 'newbie' status and imperfect, beginner level models. Some folks who post here are truly experts in model building and they awe me with their craft - but all the critisisms I have recieved have been constructive and helpful, and offered with humility. I mean, heck people who know way more than me are almost apologetic in offering advice. I like that aspect and have learned a lot from those responses as well as just looking at what others have done and reading about how they did it.

iModeler is website I just enjoy looking at. The owner/author/creator/administrator gets two thumbs up from the kid here.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

iModeler, for me, has become an extension of the group of friends I build with here at home.

No club "politics", good natured banter and sharing of experience. In the work in progress builds I've done, I received many tips concerning construction issues to be aware of and solutions for them, and I always welcome them. I've never encountered the condescending attitude that we've all run into in other environments be it online or in person, and I hope I've never appeared that way in any of the comments I made here.

I try to pay forward the help I've received here, but I realize my internet style often doesn't translate as I intend in our international community. I never try to offend or insult anyone with my comments, I'm just a semi crazy old American that thinks he's a comic. I try to keep a lid on it but it does get out.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 8 months ago:

As well you should Martin - count me among those modelers who really appreciate this site you've created. Oh, I still look in on that "other" site, but the majority of my builds have been posted on iModeler of late (actually, practically since its' inception).

I recently had one of my own posts (a rant, if you will) removed because it "violated one of the forum rules". I experienced what I considered to be poor customer service from a certain mail-order place and voiced my displeasure once too often (3rd time - in a span of 5 weeks - was the final straw I guess). Only one person out of more than a dozen agreed with me (guess maybe THAT tells me I should've kept my mouth shut, huh?)

Oddly enough, I opted NOT to place the same complaint here...didn't even consider it - must be a deeply rooted psychological reason, I dunno. 🙂

The folks here are too nice and polite to berate my ravings even if I WERE to run off at the mouth on iModeler.