Jumbo Jets

Started by Paul Barber · 4 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years ago:

Both of my boys - aged 7 and 8 have expressed a wish to do some building during our enforced time at home.

Recently at the ‘Great Eastern Fly-in’ at Evans Head in New South Wales we met a very nice man called Tony! He is the man who runs ‘Model Nerds’ a second hand kit business. The boys spent the money they made from recycling plastic on a pair of Floggers (a Hasegawa double pack) which they will build later. Tony was very kind and gave the boys a 1/300th HiTech Boeing 747 each. A very basic kit. But still in need of glue, some paint and decals.

Here is Bill starting his ‘Lufthansa’ Jumbo. Mikey has the same kit but with Air France decals.

Here is Bill cutting some sprues and gluing in some basic locator pins.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Now, I do not have any offspring myself but nonetheless, this is something I can fully appreciate - quality time in the workshop, it surely does not get any better that that! I'll be tuned in to the 747's - thanx for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    Łukasz Matuszczak said 4 years ago:

It is very nice to see your boys doing planes. It is a very clever move to give them the same kit. They can easily follow the progress of another brother and get some extra motivation. It will be also very visible who put more effort into his work:)

I was never into airliners, but it was also the case for tanks (now I am in the middle of Maus build) and space rocket (I have just both Hobby Boss space shuttle bandwidth a boosting rocket), so maybe I will try someday. In my opinion, one of the coolest airliners was built by PLASMO (Czech youtube) with the Simpson decals. Watching that can put you into the mojo of working:)

Take care and we are waiting for more.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years ago:

That’s a great use of time, Paul. I started my son and daughter on modeling when they were about your boy’s age. They’re in their mid 20s now and have great memories of the experience. My son got fairly competent at cars and tanks and still keeps his best efforts on a book shelf in his living room.
    Or they could end up like me...One day in 1969, my dad brought home an Airfix Brewster Buffalo and I haven’t stopped building since! Stay safe.