Panzer knowledge quest

Started by Jay Mitchell · 3 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I’ve never built a model tank and had it turn out decently. I recently found this old Nichimo Panther on the consignment table at the local hobby shop. My hope is to be able to find the appropriate shade of tan for the base coat in a spray can. When the weather is warmer I can spray the camp patern on with my airbrush in the garage. I’d like to finish like the smalltank in the picture I added. I have a can of Afrikia Mustard by model master , from my last failed attempt at armor models,,but I don’t think it’s the right hue. I’d appreciate any suggestions on paints .

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Jay, the color you are looking for is called "Dunkelgelb" (Dark Yellow), the number in the German color system was RAL 7028 . If you have access to Tamiya spray cans, their TS-3 should fulfil your needs.

Cheers,
    Boris

• Profile Photo
    Ian Foulkes said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Humbrol 83 Ochre is also a good match, just not sure if it comes in a rattle can. I would say it's worth waiting for the summer to spray it though. I also use Humbrol 86 Light Olive and 160 German Brown to be as exact matches as you can reasonably expect! I do use the enamels, but they're also available in acrylic, but I find acrylic tends to be very hit or miss...
    I've found that if you undercoat with Halfords red acrylic primer, it makes the over coat of Humbrol 83 more realistic