Peddinghaus decals with missing color information

Started by Felix · 24 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

Dear @johnb, i feel the pressure mounting! 🙂 I better don't mix up these japanese colors now! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

So here are a few photos of how i did the colors. Thanks to @fiveten tip for the Mr.Hobby Nr.61 color i used the amber grey and J3 grey from AK and mixed them together with white.

Pretty happy with the look, however the peddinghaus decals turned out to be too difficult for me. They have a film going over the entire decal sheet and one has to be super extra mega careful when cutting it out and above all applying it. I used Decal Soft from Revell and they still wouldn't settle down. Even worse, the blue ribbon would not match across the fuselage. And trust me, i tried for over an hour.

Oh well, one for the bin or maybe i will get some spares out of it. But i would like to thank everyone in here who was so quick to help me regarding the colors: @mvtb, @fiveten, @holzhamer, @johnb and @lis.

I would definitely welcome some kind of a decal producers list, as a beginner i would benefit from that tremendously.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Looks already real nice, Felix @fxrob

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Don't bin it, my friend @fxrob! If you are not happy with the decals, keep it until some nice decals come handy!

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

hey Spiros @fiveten, that is actually a good idea. I will do just that!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

@fxrob, overlooked the message that you were thinking about binning it.
    Like Spiros @fiveten mentioned, don't do that. Removing the current ones and add new ones is absolutely worth the try.
    As mentioned in my previous post, the build itself does look nice, so better to keep it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Felix, @fxrob
    Here is a link to an article I wrote several years ago. I had full intentions of continuing on with it, but life has got in the way.

Random thoughts on Japanese colors. The Japanese A6M Zero…Part 1
    It has a lot of good references in it. As has been mentioned by others, the Federal Standards colors of *16350 and 14201 are close. But the color should be lightened up some, because it looks way too dark when applied on a smaller plastic model. The first number (#1) is shown as a gloss in the way the numbers are written in the Federal Standards. These aircraft were glossy when new, and during the early stages of the War, but after serving some time in the jungles, the colors would fade, becoming lighter, less shiny, and more gray in appearance. I would go with this as a base point and adjust it to your liking. We have an group build currently under way named the Empire of Japan. There are lots of great builds under way there, with some of them being A6M's. Please follow this link and do a little searching. I think you will find your answer here, if you have not yet. https://imodeler.com/groups/the-empire-of-japan-1919-1946/ Personally, I would not toss the model, instead I would keep it as is. It looks very good now. Hope this helps. 🙂
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 12 months ago:

C35 it is not best shade of early IJN Gray. This is late color. I suggest my mix of paints.

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Dear Louis @lgardner, i have been very well aware of your article - it has been both super helpful and interesting. In fact, i had it open in a tab all the time while researching colors. Thank you for your compliment 🙂 I will keep it!