Spitfire question

Started by Jay Mitchell · 8 · 3 years ago · Arii, Otaki, RAF, Spitfire
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I’m working on a Spitfire MkIIIV . It’s an Arii kit. For the first time, I used paper masks when painting the camouflage pattern . It turned out pretty good , I think. The directions are not very helpful on which colors to use. I’m not sure about what color of yellow to use on the leading edges. Is it insignia yellow, or is closer to orange yellow? Or would the yellow leading edges be correct for this airplane? The directions are of no help, and I haven’t found much info on this Spitfire with The ZX M code on the side.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Jay,

it is a Spitfire MK VIII,and they used a normal yellow identification leading edge stripe on both wings.

So,you can use a normal hue yellow,for I think there will be no proof otherwise.

Hope I was of any help.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 10 months ago:

If it was used overseas I'm not sure it had the leading edge yellow. I'll have to hit the books

• Profile Photo

Yes VIII... that’s what I meant ..., I wouldn’t have made a very good Roman.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 10 months ago:
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Jay @ssgt, I believe George @blackadder57 has pointed you in the right direction.

For future reference: http://spitfiresite.com/

• Profile Photo

Thank you all for the replies. After reading the britmodeller discussion, I’m kind of leaning toward not putting the yellow on this one and doing some better preplanning for the Spitfire MkIX I’m considering. I appreciate your time in replying to my question.

• Profile Photo

The next Spitfire I will try to get the yellow leading edges and fuselage band painted and masked before the camouflage is applied, this one I’m going to leave as it is.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.