Thoughts about black paint camouflage

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 4 · 5 years ago · black paint weathered, Gloss coat
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 5 months ago:

As an adult of 46 I'm trying to build my first black camouflage, in this case an all black Defiant. My current concern is just how the use of a gloss varnish, or any varnish for that matter, affects the effect I achieved so far. Any of you fellas that have experience in this type of thing can spell the future (no pun intended)? I fear the varnish coat will just darken the effect and spoil the darn thing. Thanks for any feedback!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Pedro,
    what you have done so far looks excellent - this is going to be one well used Defiant! Your question touches one of my pet peeves, so appologies if my thoughts on that are more than you wanted to know 😀
    It is a common misconception that gloss coats darken a color. What they actually do is make the paint - well, glossy (who would have thought...) A glossy surface reflects the light in a different way than does a flat surface. Simply put, if light falls on a glossy surface, it gets reflected in one direction, whereas with a fat surface it gets diffused. This is why glossy objects tend to show very bright spots where your eye "stands in the way" of the reflections and dark areas where it does not, while flat objects look more evenly illuminated.
    So if you gloss coat your model it won't get darker, it is merely the reflectivity of the surface that changes. And the same goes of course in the opposite direction - if you put a flat coat on, the surface does not really get lighter, but it will diffuse incoming light, making it appear more uniformly lit.
    In short: Don't worry about your Defiant getting too dark after gloss coating it, just make sure to apply a flat coat later on to bring it back to your desired look.
    Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Boris

• Profile Photo

Boris,
    First let me thank you for such a comprehensive explanation. I really never thought about those physic laws of paint and lacquers. It all makes perfect sense though I did had a past bad experience where the flat coat didn’t compensate the effect of the previous gloss, and yes the colour ended up looking darker to my eyes than when first applied... I can understand the why after your most helpful explanation. Thank you again mate!

• Profile Photo

Yep, a diluted gloss similar to Future applied and the paint shades didn't darkened that much, far less that I was afraid to get.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.